Kawasaki Mule Discuss the multi purpose Mule within.

3010 Mule belt/transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 11:37 PM
Default 3010 Mule belt/transmission problem

Hey everyone,

I have a kawasaki 3010 that I'm having some trouble with. For starters shifting doesn't seem right as it tends to pop out of gear sometimes (mostly High). Other times it grinds rapidly when trying to put it in gear. It's not the typical gear grinding that's normal for a split second then it goes into gear. It moves all the way forward and grinds until you take it out and put in back in gear several times. When it does go into gear it's it will move forward without giving it any gas, it doesn't take off but crawls, which I feel shouldn't be happening (at least not in High). Sometimes when I come to a stop by just holding the brake and leaving it in gear it will die and I'll have to restart to keep going. One last thing is it's hard to shift out of reverse and low when completely stopped, fairly easy when moving though.

I know I threw a lot out there and I hope it's understandable for people to read. I'm kind of lost on what to try and maybe there's several things that need addressed but I'd like to see if anyone here has some ideas on what might be causing these problems.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-17-2017, 05:57 PM

I figured out the grinding symptoms as the linkages were not adjusted right, causing it not to completely move out of low on top of the transmission. I think this could also have been causing it to pop out of gear due to not being engaged all the way. I'm still wondering about the belt as it will still move when in gear not giving it any gas. The idle seems right as there is no grinding when put into gear now (unless you do it slowly). It also seems sluggish on initial acceleration like it's slipping. I checked the width of the belt and it's still in spec at 29.7 mm. Service manual says 28 mm is the limit. Deflection however seems to much at 1.5 inches with 13 lbs applied. Could it be that the belt has stretched some and is causing it to not be as tight as it needs to be? Or is it possible there's something wrong with the drive converter or the driven converter?

Old 01-25-2018, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

About the only active discussions on this forum revolve around KLX 250S bikes. You may have better luck at this forum:

Kawasaki ATV and Mule - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums