General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Default Weird headlight issue

New guy here sorry if this topic has been posted before but I looked and I couldn't find anything. This problem is on my 2011 kawasaki ninja 650r

Ok, so a little back story to help understand. I recently was in a very minor accident. I did not lay the bike down at all but I rubbed up against a cement wall going about 35, I took a turn a little to fast... All I did was scratch the right fairings a little bit and cracked the right turn signal. I replaced the fairing and the turn signal (the bulb for the turn signal was not broken so I just replaces the casing). Also the headlights were working just fine after the accident. I decided to take this opportunity to also replace my taillight / turn signals with an integrated taillight from Moto Dynamic.

Here is the problem, now that everything is put back together the low beams on the right headlight (when looking at the bike) work. However, the high beams do not. The left light the low beams do not work and the high beams do work. Also, the left turn signal (when looking at the bike) does not work and the right turn signal does work. For the right headlight that has no low beam the running light works but it is very dim compared to the other running light.

Steps I have taken so far to figure it out are:
1)check to make sure all the connections are connected
2) check all fuses and make sure nothing is blown
3) disconnected the newly installed taillight to see if it was a voltage issue but the headlights still do not work

I do not have a clue what it could be. I would rather not go out and buy different bulbs if I do not have to. I am hoping someone on here has had this same problem or might have an idea of what the problem could be.

Any and all advice is welcomed, thank you!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm confused, you said "the low beams on the right headlight (when looking at the bike) work. However, the high beams do not." Then you said " The left light the low beams do not work and the high beams do work."
The bike uses H7 bulbs which are single filament in other words they are either low beam OR high beam not both. When low beam is selected only 1 bulb lights, when high beam is selected both bulbs light up (using both low and high beam at the same time).

From your descriptions it sounds like you are expecting both bulbs to be dual filament like a H4 EG both bulbs light on low beam and both bulbs change to the other filament for high beam.

Regarding the indicator it's pretty simple, bulb is blown or connector not connected properly. There are other possibilities but they are the likely suspects. Check the connector is clean and dry and plugged in right if that is ok check the bulb is fitted properly and not blown. Just a thought is the rear one working? If so is it flashing at the normal rate or is it faster than normal?

Hmm then there is the running light. If 1 running light is duller than the other assuming the bulbs are the same and in good order the dullness is caused by voltage drop either the bulb is not getting full volts OR not getting the volts away from it (bad earth)

Either you have 3 separate problems OR 1 common fault affecting all 3 like a single loose connector. I'd be going over connectors again and make sure they are

1. Clean
2. Dry
3. Connected properly and in the correct places.

If they are all ok tackle 1 job at a time. Say do the headlights, fix that then move on to the indicators etc.

Good luck.

P.S. Connect the tail light and rear blinker back to standard to eliminate that variable. Just until you fix the rest. 1 step at a time.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 03-23-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:19 PM

Ok, so you are saying that for the H7 bulbs my bike is running that only one headlight should light up when low beams are selected? Then, when high beams are selected the other headlight should light up (they both would be on)? I am new to the bike so maybe I remember wrong but I seem to remember that the bikes headlights behaved much like the H4 bulbs you described. Meaning, both headlight were on for low beams and then they changed filaments when high beams were selected. I could be remembering wrong though.

Thank again for the reply. I will go back over all of my connections and make sure they are clean and proper. I also plan to move the turn signal bulb to the other side just to see if it fires on that side and if it does then I know the bulb isn't blow.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:49 PM

Yea dude so you were exactly right. I was just looking at some videos of other peoples bikes and my bike does indeed have the H7 bulbs. Only one side lights up for low beams and the other side lights up when the high beams are engaged. I guess I just never noticed that. I feel a little dumb now haha. Thanks again for the help!

Old 03-24-2016, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't feel dumb, we all started off somewhere asking "dumb" questions. Just remember the only dumb questions is the one not asked. Good luck with the repairs.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Doing any good?