General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shaft Drive Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Default Shaft Drive Problems

Yesterday i burnt up my final drive. I went about two miles on an expressway and when I was driving through town immediately afterward I felt a BIG drag with the clutch in. When I would try to accelerate it felt like I had only one cylinder working. I pulled over and began looking at my bike (in a bad neighborhood, of course). I quickly saw a little bit of smoke exiting the rear wheel at the hub/final drive. At first I thought it was the rear brake hub locked up. But i noticed the smoke was mostly leaving the final drive side.

My question is I am going to attempt to R&R the final drive. Anyone know the basics of this procedure. I have a copy of the shop manual, but it doesn't go into the removal of the final drive. I am assuming the removal of the tire (which it has the procedures for) and the it should come right off from there. Anyone that has done this would be tons of help to me.

Thanks,
Garrett

Old 09-07-2005, 06:47 PM
Default RE: Shaft Drive Problems

Updating. I think the bearings are also bad. I ordered them and when they come in I am going to attpemt to R&R both.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hope that works out. Take some pics and do a write up, then post it in the DIY section. It would be a great help to someone in the future. Plus I am curious as hell to see how it goes. Good luck bro

Old 09-18-2005, 10:19 PM

well, I learnt that you should take the thing apart before guessing at what is wrong. I did replace the final drive but I think the actual problem was bad brake pads. I noticed that when I pulled the rear brake hub off that the pads were worn and one had seperated from the metal portion of the shoe. I believe that it was loose and that it made it's way through to rest between the hub of the wheel and the opposite shoe, effectively locking the brake and rear tire. I also noticed that the bearings rolled nicely so I didn't replace them (if anyone needs these bearings I got two for sale at a bargain). I will get brake shoes on tuesday and replace them, as well as the fronts (to be done later). I'll still put up an article on replacing the final drive soon, when the jobs complete.

Over and out.