General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

To remove wheel paint use ______ ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Default To remove wheel paint use ______ ?

I bought a rear wheel for my ZX14 and it has the paint stripped from the tire bead up to the ridge where the spokes start. Looks GREAT!!! But now I have to make my original front wheel match it. I tried some gel house paint stripper I had in the garage, had no effect on paint finish. Is there a chemical product that will remove this type of paint.
Thanks

Old 01-30-2010, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

you might have to use a real fine sandpaper...I used a gel to strip my aluminum MTB frame down with no damage to it...

Old 01-30-2010, 04:38 PM

What type of gel did you use? Maybe the stuff I used was not the right type or strong enough. I assume Kawi wheels are powder coated.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I used naval jelly...I know there is a how to somewhere in here about polishing the lips on the rims...not sure what they did but i think they had to use sandpaper...

Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

you can find some paint remover at an autozone for around 6$$$

Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Or... you might try a 3M grit abrasive wheel on your drill. It looks like a scotch-brite pad, kinda. It won't dig into the metal, but will get rid of the coat.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by lineblur
I bought a rear wheel for my ZX14 and it has the paint stripped from the tire bead up to the ridge where the spokes start. Looks GREAT!!! But now I have to make my original front wheel match it. I tried some gel house paint stripper I had in the garage, had no effect on paint finish. Is there a chemical product that will remove this type of paint.
Thanks
Try some brake fluid and an SOS pad! Lol! I have had luck with a small dremel tool with a polishing/ fine grit head attached. I would tape up the areas you do not want to strip, and be careful! It's not as easy as many think, and doesn't look good if you screw it up!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Or... you might try a 3M grit abrasive wheel on your drill. It looks like a scotch-brite pad, kinda. It won't dig into the metal, but will get rid of the coat.
Yep! Pretty much the same as using the dremel on it.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by lineblur
Thanks

If you have an o'reilly's in your area they sell a chemical made by Mar-Hyde. It is an aircraft coating remover. If you don't have an O'reilly's then you might just check your local auto parts store. I used this on my old 2007 zx6r to polish the wheels just like what you are trying to do. You have to be extremely careful to not get this on any part of your bike that you want to keep painted. Because within 2 or 3 seconds you can see the paint start to bubble up and it can then just be wiped off with a hand towel. The way I did it was to apply the paint stripper with a small brush just doing a little bit at a time. It took me a while because I didn't want to get sloppy and possibly mess up the look by spilling it or splashing it. Good luck! And enjoy the aftermath, because it will look awesome!