General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OK let's talk exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OK let's talk exhaust....

ORIGINAL: 056r

no sound clip but DAMN is all i have to say i LOVE it it's exactly how i wanted my bike to sound. Not real loud until you get on the throttle. it is deeper than most exhausts for sportbikes i have heard and IMO it is also the best looking. totally worth the money. you wont need a power commander with just a slipon but if you do anything else i.e. regearing and aftermarket air filter you'll probably want to get one.
I agree, no pc is needed with a slip-on and you will get the sound you are looking for. My first slip-on cost about 450 and know I see them for as much as 650. It is still less than a full system.

That Akrapovic Evo is cool as hell though.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 PM

any answers to my questions????? c'mon ppl help out here...LOL

Old 11-18-2005, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Scrtsvc

any answers to my questions????? c'mon ppl help out here...LOL
Yes you can but will need custom mapping for your PC. With out it you will be running very lean and could cause damage to the engine.

When you order a full system from say Graves, for example, they have tested it on most of the major manufactures bikes and will sell or give you a map to be down loaded into your pc to correct the air fuel mixture.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Scrtsvc, do you actually believe numbers from the manufacturers? You will get some idea from their sites. The best way other than researching the manufacturing sites is to read more on any dyno results in the different mags or sites. I could not tell you what pipe system would be best for your ride or your style preferences. You do an overbore? a cam change? You prefer more entry angle in the corner and expect more torque out? Do you want to fly in a straight line? what do you expect? That kind of thing. HP is great at the cost of Torque and where you want to place those two and in how you plan on using it. So I think the best idea is to study your physics and Thermodynamic issues to understand the concepts related before you buy. I know, no answer really on what exhaust system. Just think about how much back pressure for an unmod head would need compared to the backpressure of a mod'ed head? Is the ride carburated? The same ol crap. Tapered or standard header pipes, what length, etc. Once you know the basics you can then choose an exhaust and modify it if needed that will fit your needs. I suggest the two stroke tuning principles in trying to familiarize yourself with exhaust systems. Then ask for the specs from the manufacturer on that system before you spend the money.

Just my 2 cents