General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

loose tank mount fittings

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Default loose tank mount fittings

i own a 1992 ninja zx7. a friend owed me money so he game me his bike. the bike runs very good and has minor scratchs. the only problem is the fittings that are in the frame that mount the gas tank are loose, i can't get the tank bolts to go all the way in because the fitting just start spinning. i havn't talked to a dealer yet because i wanted to see if it was something i could purchase and install or modify to tighten the tank. any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you.[/align]

Old 06-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: loose tank mount fittings

Ya have a pic? Curious to see what you are mentioning.

Welcome to KF

Old 06-22-2008, 11:28 PM

I don't have a pic right now i'll take the tank off again this week and get some pics. basicly there are four rivit fittings in the frame where the gas tank mount bolts screw into to hold it down. well the lower two that are under the seat are loose enough that once the bolts start to get tight they just spin with the bolt. so my tank isn't secured down tightly. i just wanted to know that maybe if jb weld or something else would work to keep them from spinning. the dealer told me the only thing they could do is get me a new frame or try to pull the rivit fittings tighter.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:28 PM

thanks for the welcome

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i just wanted to know that maybe if jb weld or something else would work to keep them from spinning. the dealer told me the only thing they could do is get me a new frame or try to pull the rivit fittings tighter.
hell, you just now mentioned what my question was. Tell your dealer to F off and that you can place your own rivet fitting in place. That is if you buy the kit for $100 or so from msc, etc. Sounds like you are not stock to begin with and it has been worked on.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 AM

the problem with me buying a kit to do it is i can't really tell if it's just loose or if the hole has been i guess stretched out. that's kind of what the dealer was saying. that he can try to tighten it but the hole from the gas tank not being tightend down properly could have made the holes bigger. this is my first bike so i really don't know jack about em. i would have probibly never got a bike if my friend didn't give me his. where exactly could i check out one of these special rivet guns? i wouldn't have a clue.