Installing IMS Tank need to mount some fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Installing IMS Tank need to mount some fans

I took the leap and orderd an IMS tank. Followed all of the instructions that Todd had posted several years ago, and everything seems to be going well. However, I don't have a clue how he mounted the Rad Fans. Does anyone have a picture I can use to get some ideas from? Would apperciated any help I can get.

I also ordered 1995 KLX shrouds a to see if they will fit. I think they will. I'll post pics when I get them installed.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

bump just cus i want to see the info this brings. once i screw up the acerbis enough i think im going to switch to ims, carrying around a half a gallon that i cant use is stupid.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Didn't I read that the ims has issues fitting on an 09 also? Needs different shrouds, carb interference, etc... I'd go for it in a minute if it worked. 2 gal is a joke

Old 02-20-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Didn't I read that the ims has issues fitting on an 09 also? Needs different shrouds, carb interference, etc... I'd go for it in a minute if it worked. 2 gal is a joke
The IMS tank was designed for the 1993-1996 KLX250. I have a 2007 KLX250s and the tank fits with many mods, one being exchanging the stock fan with some small DC fans. I don't know about the 2009, but I would think it would be the same mods. I have ordered new shrouds instead of cutting mine with a dremel tool. I may want to go back to the steel tank sometime and don't want to ruin the 2007 shrouds. Just need to figure out how to mount those fans!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default HEY, NOBRAKES wake up, they need you!

Originally Posted by DualSport
The IMS tank was designed for the 1993-1996 KLX250. I have a 2007 KLX250s and the tank fits with many mods, one being exchanging the stock fan with some small DC fans. I don't know about the 2009, but I would think it would be the same mods. I have ordered new shrouds instead of cutting mine with a dremel tool. I may want to go back to the steel tank sometime and don't want to ruin the 2007 shrouds. Just need to figure out how to mount those fans!
Wait 'til NoBrakes wakes up, he knows how to set the fans up 'cause he did it before... he'll read the post soon ... or you could PM him for the info. He installed an IMS on his '06 or '07 ... can't remember what year it was, though.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

At first I made up an aluminum bracket that bolted in the same footprint as the stock fan and put two fans on it:

A while later, I felt I needed some more cooling after seeing the overtemp light come up during a bush whacking excursion where there was very little air flow, so I added two more fans to the left side, but this time, I just used a narrow bolt through the rad fins with some rtv sealant around for cushioning, like this:

And I eventually did away with the aluminum bracket and set up the right side like the left:

All four fans wired to the stock pig-tail in parallel. Note, those screws are not tight at all they just keep them in place, and the sealant provides cushioning so they don't damage the core. I think you can actually buy a kit to mount fans like this, I think they use a zip-tie sort of arrangement instead of the screw.

They are very quiet, so the white-out on the blades was so I could tell if they are spinning while I was testing them out:

Old 02-20-2009, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
At first I made up an aluminum bracket that bolted in the same footprint as the stock fan and put two fans on it:

A while later, I felt I needed some more cooling after seeing the overtemp light come up during a bush whacking excursion where there was very little air flow, so I added two more fans to the left side, but this time, I just used a narrow bolt through the rad fins with some rtv sealant around for cushioning, like this:

And I eventually did away with the aluminum bracket and set up the right side like the left:

All four fans wired to the stock pig-tail in parallel. Note, those screws are not tight at all they just keep them in place, and the sealant provides cushioning so they don't damage the core. I think you can actually buy a kit to mount fans like this, I think they use a zip-tie sort of arrangement instead of the screw.

They are very quiet, so the white-out on the blades was so I could tell if they are spinning while I was testing them out:

NOBRAKES you ALWAYS come through! I have a dumb question. When you say " I just used a narrow bolt through the rad fins with some rtv sealant around for cushioning...", do you mean that you ran a bolt clear through the radiator to the front of it?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes, I just spread the fins around it a little, small washer on the back side for support with more of the sealant for cushioning. If I was doing it again, I'd get one of those zip-tie mounting kits, should be available from an auto-parts shop.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Yes, I just spread the fins around it a little, small washer on the back side for support with more of the sealant for cushioning. If I was doing it again, I'd get one of those zip-tie mounting kits, should be available from an auto-parts shop.
Thanks so much for your help NOBRAKES. I found a site that has plastic ties for mounting fans to radiators. If anyone else is interested here is the link: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...8bba1c6b1f4ed3

I just ordered some of them!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey NoBrakes, if its not to much to ask, I was wondering if i could get a full shot of your bike to see how the IMS tank sits on the bike, the acerbis looks absurd and the clarke only adds a little bit more. From what I read here it sounds like you can still use shrouds of your choice.

Quick Reply: Installing IMS Tank need to mount some fans