General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

05 Ninja won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Default 05 Ninja won't start

Hey, I'm new here and not a motorcycle junkie so my knowledge is very limited. I have a 2005 Ninja ZX-6R that won't start. It ran just fine last weekend, but doesn't want to start up now. I figure it's the cold weather, but i just want some input on what I should check. It was turning over and then the battery started click/buzzing and the display was dimming (while I'm not trying to start it the display is bright as usual). The horn works and I can't get it started to see if the headlights are working or not so I'm not sure if it's the battery or not. It does have gas too. Any input would be greatly appreciated and soon preferably because I'm trying to sell it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited by IdRatherBeJeepin; 10-28-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds like the battery is just bad/dead..

a good test to this is jumpstart it. use a car or jump box. if she fires right up, do one of two things...
charge the battery overnight, or simply replace the battery..

the buzzing is indicative of flow voltage.. high enough to actuate the starter solenoid and light the dash and all, but as soon as the starter solenoid closes, the current draw from the starter pulling power to turn drains the battery past the point of being able to support the load of the bike, and the voltage falls off, thus releasing the solenoid.

ALSO check for corrosion and loose terminals anywhere, as this will also cause a similar fault.

good luck, keep us osted, and welcome to KF!!!!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

check for corrosion and loose terminals anywhere, as this will also cause a similar fault.
Do that first, then use your test instruments. But yes, it does sound like a battery issue. Note: do not let your car run when jumping.
a good test to this is jumpstart it

Old 11-01-2008, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks ted! good call..

BUT.

honestly, I have a question now... lol why not let the car run?
by all means, a car's battery has 100 times the current available at the terminals, BUT, just like a bike battery, the car's voltage is regulated to 14.4 as a high point..

a car battery itself will start a bike.. yes. no car needed. lol

at idle, a car should generate about 12.10 to 13.86 volts nominally..

just would like to hear your side of it... i've jumped my bike off my truck and running cars with no problems, but you've got vast amounts of experience on me, bro..

Old 11-01-2008, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Most of the time you'll get away with it, but there's a small risk of frying some of the electronics, particularly alternator diodes.

Another thing not to do is to change over a battery on a running engine so that the motor is running with no battery connected.

Rob

Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the help, but she still won't start. All the connections look good everywhere else, but she doesn't want to go. All it does it click now, not sure what that indicates.

Scratch that. I just went out and bought a new battery and it started up. Thanks for the input and the info guys (or girls).

Last edited by IdRatherBeJeepin; 11-02-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

yup.. good deal.. battery will kill alot of stuff that ya ordinarily wouldn't think would be affected..