What did I do wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Default What did I do wrong?

Hi. I recently purchased a 1998 Vulcan Classic 800. The bike wasn't running when I got it. (It had been sitting 5 years with gas in it) I cleaned the carburetor and the jets didn't weren't clogged. I sprayed carb cleaner through everything and the only thing that was wrong was that the deal with the diaphragm was seized and wasn't moving up and down. So I put it back together and the thing started right up but when I give it a lot of throttle it starts popping, and backfiring, and makes a small popping sound out of air inlet.
The only thing that had me worried about the carb was when I put the diaphragm back in the edges didn't really want to stay in the small circle grove. I put it in the best I could and figured the top peice would finish giding it in since it seems tight on it.

So with that information can anyone tell me what could be causing this? I don't know a lot about carburetors so I'm thinking about just taking it in to get fixed but if it's something simple I think I can find the patience to take the bike apart again. Thanks for any help!!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What did I do wrong?

Welcome to the forums......

That diaphragm can take a little finesse to get back in right. It sounds lilke it is in the carb. I would double check the diaphragm, and did you check the needle and seat? float? I can't imagine the bike sittin for 5 years and the needle and seat o-rings still being usable...

Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: BigRig18Wheeler

Welcome to the forums......

That diaphragm can take a little finesse to get back in right. It sounds lilke it is in the carb. I would double check the diaphragm, and did you check the needle and seat? float? I can't imagine the bike sittin for 5 years and the needle and seat o-rings still being usable...

Those aftermarket carburetor rebuild kits do they include all those things?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

It should. The only thing it might not come with would be the float. But, the float is usually re useable. Where is the float adjusted at now? How many turns is the air fuel mixture screw out?