Did I go with the wrong bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Did I go with the wrong bike?

I was debating between a KLX250s and a DRZ400s a little while back, and now, after about 488mi on the KLX, i'm wondering if I made the wrong decision.

Little background. 15, weigh 140, 5' 8". Not a new rider at all, been riding since I was 8, trails exclusively, no MX at ALL.

The trails we ride are ROUGH. Mud up to your knees isn't too uncommon, and you can expect a few sectors where the bars on your bike will barely fit through the trees. Boulder crossings too deep to actually through are also all over the place. Twisty, tight, and absolutely no grip whatsoever, so you're literally sliding through the trail most of the time. My last bike, a TTR125, had plenty of scoot for the trails. It was just cramped.

I wanted a dual sport because a non-plated bike would end up sitting my garage. We don't ride very often, 2 times a month max maybe.

Huskies and KTMs were obviously out of my price range.

I went with the KLX over the DRZ for a few reasons. One of the big ones was that 1000 USD price difference, which I figured I could use to get what I thought would be a better handling bike, up to par in terms of use able amounts of power. The other was because of handling. I had read a few stories of people selling in their DRZs for a KLX just because the handling suited them better, and even got a few DRZ owners telling me i'd be more happy with a KLX. The KLX just seemed more throw able and maneuverable.

Not to mention, the DRZ would be definite overkill for the streets here. The highest speed limit on the entire island is 60, and that's in some obscure section of straight highway up in the mountains. It's usually 45 or 50.

But now that i've got that KLX, and have to gain substantial experience on the road (i've already foreseen and managed to avoid 3 accidents), and have been sizing up my next option in terms of power upgrades, i'm wondering if I should have just gone with the DRZ.

I've gone offroad a grand total of once. I won't kid you though, that 488mi already on the odometer doesn't mean that I barely ever go offroad, about 3-400 of those miles has been me dicking around on the twisties with a brand new bike.

Now, that one time I HAVE taken the bike offroad so-far, I was thanking god that I hadn't gotten the DRZ, just because I couldn't imagine anything heavier than the KLX in the trails. The more experienced/older folk, on their 200 pound 200 two stroke KTMs were huffing and puffing as it stood, I just couldn't imagine ever having to maneuver 300+ pounds of DRZ around in the trail, it seemed like it'd be hell.

But after getting better at riding on the road, and trying to ride the KLX like a motard, i'm finding that the power is rather disappointing on the road. Offroad, I didn't really notice it at all, aside from a few hills I stalled out on, and i'm fairly positive that those were all down to my own error (as the bike wasn't bogging at all when she went down). It's just so saddening to jump ontop of the gas tank as you exit a corner, only to find that it's unneeded, as the front end isn't really lifting up at all.

I was also coming to think, maybe my 7 years of experience would be enough to be able to muscle a DRZ around just fine in the trails.

When I made the decision, power wasn't so much an issue. Handling and flick ability were my biggest concerns. And dual sporting a WR or a CRF was a no go. It's legally feasible here, but I just don't have the means or time.

So i'm wondering what you guys think, if maybe I made the wrong decision, or if a big bore kit and aftermarket exhaust might be just what I need to cheer me up and make me happy. I know i'm preaching to the choir here ( ).

The fact that most of you guys use your KLXs as wife/girlfriend/old-guy bikes doesn't make me any more sane about my decision.

I'm also wondering if there's really just no replacement for displacement, and that maybe after around $1000 USD worth of bore kit, exhaust, and filter, i'll be 100% happy with the bike.

EDIT: Hmm, a hotted up KLX, with a conservative HP estimate (considering that an FCR carb, 340 bore kit, and Muzzy exhaust system, will yield around 28 hp, proven a few times on a dyno), has a far better power to weight ratio than a stock DRZ.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I go with the wrong bike?

what have you done to it so far? rejet it, get an exhaust, get different gearing, 13-45 or higher... then if your still not happy get the big bore...... if you dont want a heavy bike, stick with the klx, just make it more powerful.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

what have you done to it so far? rejet it, get an exhaust, get different gearing, 13-45 or higher... then if your still not happy get the big bore...... if you dont want a heavy bike, stick with the klx, just make it more powerful.
Nothing in terms of power yet.

I just don't want to jump into the $1000 upgrade pool, no matter how shallow I start out at, until i'm sure that I want to stick with this bike. If i'm moving on from this bike, now is the time to do it, since i'm still under the 500mi mark.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

but doing power upgrades will not stop someone from buying it..... might make someone want it more...... rejetting, regearing, and exhaust, depending on what exhaust you get is not that pricy......

Old 08-29-2007, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

but doing power upgrades will not stop someone from buying it..... might make someone want it more...... rejetting, regearing, and exhaust, depending on what exhaust you get is not that pricy......
But putting the money in means i'll definetly be keeping the bike for longer, and more miles = harder to sell.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well I love the bike.... only if it ran more than it didnt...... i would buy it again, and after i rejetted, regeard, and added the exhaust it really woke up. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:15 AM
1st Gear Member

If you are going to use it off road stick with the klx and bump up the power .... if you going to use it onroad with no off road ... perhaps the DRZ would have been a better choice

Old 08-29-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I would go with the free mods, jet kit and a full exhaust for a grand total of about $500. That will make the bike a ton more fun and if you still think that you want a DRZ after that you can sell the exhaust to get much of that $500 back.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow!! If a fat guy like me can do any trails we have around here and still do 60 down the highway plus wheelies then you should be having an absolute blast on the bike. If you don't want to invest that kind of money and only ride at speedsof 45-50anywaythen at the very least do the 13-45 or 13-49 sprocket change. For less than $60.00 you can get a taste of what this bike is capable of. Come on man don't give up that fast. I'm 260 and 6-1 and I can tear up the gravel and highway. 2nd and 3rd at 7000 I gotta tell you its like a rocket. I have the Full Muzzy and jetted to 132 and 40. It is AWESOME!! That's the permanent smile on my face. Sure you could get the DRZ for more money, put more money into that, and end up with more power and more weight. But its not just the weight thing, I sat, never rode to be fair, on a DRZ and it felt just thick for lack of a better word. Anyway let us know what you end up doing. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

Not to mention, the DRZ would be definite overkill for the streets here. The highest speed limit on the entire island is 60, and that's in some obscure section of straight highway up in the mountains. It's usually 45 or 50.

Now, that one time I HAVE taken the bike offroad so-far, I was thanking god that I hadn't gotten the DRZ, I just couldn't imagine ever having to maneuver 300+ pounds of DRZ around in the trail, it seemed like it'd be hell.

EDIT: Hmm, a hotted up KLX, with a conservative HP estimate (considering that an FCR carb, 340 bore kit, and Muzzy exhaust system, will yield around 28 hp, proven a few times on a dyno), has a far better power to weight ratio than a stock DRZ.

You answered your own questions.

I'm biased towards the KLX because I have one, and I resemble your "old guy" remark. A riding partner of mine rides a DRZ, and I can't imagine trying to "wrestle" that thing on the trail, because I resemble your "old guy" remark.

I would suggest you first try the 13 tooth front sprocket because it's a cheap mod and doesn't require a new chain. I'm currently running 14/50 with a 300cc (292) bore and it's a completely different bike. I honestly believe that the first thing that HAS to be replaced is the exhaust (along with the smog crap), along with a carb re-jet, but as long as you are hesitant, try the sprocket first.

I think the KLX looks better. The mods were fun and I'm not done. Totally "tricking out" the KLX will cost more than a stock DRZ, but to me it's worth it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Did I go with the wrong bike?