Did I go with the wrong bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:15 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I go with the wrong bike?

I think this thread is about to go down in flames. Any last words? Pay your respects because its about done.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I like things.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

I like things.
???

Old 09-02-2007, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Good grief. If you want 250, keep the KLX. If you want a 400, get one of the many available. It's beyond me why anyone would spendbetween 4000and 5000 dollars without knowing what theyare buying.

'Just sayin'

Old 09-02-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Good grief. If you want 250, keep the KLX. If you want a 400, get one of the many available. It's beyond me why anyone would spend between 4000 and 5000 dollars without knowing what they are buying.

'Just sayin'
I knew perfectly well what i'd be buying, I just didn't realize that I might be wanting more oomph so soon.

After taking her offroad a few times more, I think that a 13t counter sprocket and an exhaust kit will make me a perfectly happy camper. In the trails, we never have enough speed to leave first gear.

I just need a bit more low end on this bike, so it doesn't feel like i'm lugging it over some of the rockier and slower stuff

Old 09-02-2007, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

After taking her offroad a few times more, I think that a 13t counter sprocket and an exhaust kit will make me a perfectly happy camper. In the trails, we never have enough speed to leave first gear.

I just need a bit more low end on this bike, so it doesn't feel like i'm lugging it over some of the rockier and slower stuff
Lower your gearing. If you aren't getting out of first gear, you are geared too tall. As hard as you use your motorcycle, I'm not sure I would just get a 13T front sprocket. A new chain and a larger rear sprocket seem like a better option. Of course, you should do the cheaper power mods too. You won't end up with a stump puller but, you will have something that performs much better in your typical use. You don't really need a 65-75MPH top end do you?

In the future, you always have the option of a big bore kit when your finances are compatible with that option. And best of all, you won't be huffing a 400lb motorcycle up the hill.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I think this thread is about to go down in flames. Any last words? Pay your respects because its about done.
Why?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

Lower your gearing. If you aren't getting out of first gear, you are geared too tall. As hard as you use your motorcycle, I'm not sure I would just get a 13T front sprocket. A new chain and a larger rear sprocket seem like a better option. Of course, you should do the cheaper power mods too. You won't end up with a stump puller but, you will have something that performs much better in your typical use. You don't really need a 65-75MPH top end do you?

In the future, you always have the option of a big bore kit when your finances are compatible with that option. And best of all, you won't be huffing a 400lb motorcycle up the hill.
Are you sure about that?

My uncle, who leads the pack, on a KTM 200sx that's barely stock, barely ever gets out of first as it stands.

This is tight and technical stuff now, like, basically bouncing over rocks and squeezing your body between trees.

I've run trails where I got up to third though, but the ones i'm used to, and the pace i'm used to, we don't really get out of first.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm no expert or even close to being one so, take what I have to say with a grain of salt. On my old Honda XL's, I always liked hitting the steep hills in second or third so I could drop a gear if I needed to if I couldn't lug it up over the top. If I'm in first and out of torque, I don't have a good option. Plus, I liked a lower first gear for puttering around in deep grass out in the pasture because it kept me away from nasty surprises buried in the grass. I should note that I didn't ride the gnarly stuff shown in your pictures though which taints my opinions some.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

I'm no expert or even close to being one so, take what I have to say with a grain of salt. On my old Honda XL's, I always liked hitting the steep hills in second or third so I could drop a gear if I needed to if I couldn't lug it up over the top. If I'm in first and out of torque, I don't have a good option. Plus, I liked a lower first gear for puttering around in deep grass out in the pasture because it kept me away from nasty surprises buried in the grass. I should note that I didn't ride the gnarly stuff shown in your pictures though which taints my opinions some.
Ah, I see what you mean.

Me and my cousin were just farting around and found this dustbowl out nearby with some pretty steep hillclimbs, which, although possible to hit in first, were more comfortable to hit in second.

Second gear starts seem to work better for the steeper stuff, where you just need a ****load more momentum to hit the hills. In the trails though, it tends to not work, because when you drop down to first, you'll just lose all your momentum to wheelspin since it's so muddy.

Not to mention, you sometimes don't have the luxury of a running start in the trails

I was surprised at how well this little bike lugged up hills though. I felt entirely comfortable dropping the revs all the way down to 2k and then snapping them back up to 4-6k, didn't feel like there was any risk of bogging at all.

Imma check the dyno sheets off of the HMF website. It seems like this bike carrys her torque down low