IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I hope we can use our stock one..

Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Got this from chuck today:
"We are looking at late July/early August before the tank is ready. We haven’t made our first part yet but I can show you the pattern used to make the mold. It will give you an idea of what the finished tank will look like. We will send you an email as soon as the tank is available."

Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet

Old 06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I also asked about the gas cap in my reply.. So I will update when I get that info.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM

I just got this reply to my email to IMS, I also had addressed the fact of wanting a locking gas cap option or the option to use my stock one, but in the reply he never addressed that. I think they are trying to get the tank out first with little details of the cap later. Here is the response:

Hi Scotty,

We are currently in the process of creating a fuel tank for this model. The last ETA I was given for the project to be complete is late July / early August. I’ve attached some photos that my R&D manager sent to me, and told me it was okay to distribute, so that people have any idea of what the tank will look like. The target capacity is about 3 gallons. I hope this helps. Thanks for your email!

Jack
IMS

Oh and the pics they sent me are the same ones as the recent posts to this forum too from Chuck. So now there is a Chuck & Jack there responding to us all.
Just hope they aren't pulling our 6 month chain still!!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally, I'm all for a MX style cap - but I know that quite a few use the KLX as a commuter, so I get the locking cap too.

For me though, I hate having to turn my bike off to check my fuel level when I'm riding.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by heypilch
Personally, I'm all for a MX style cap - but I know that quite a few use the KLX as a commuter, so I get the locking cap too.

For me though, I hate having to turn my bike off to check my fuel level when I'm riding.
The locking cap, unless IMS fits the stock one (unlikely), will very likely have a different key so you shouldn't necessarily need to turn off the bike to check gas.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

That's true, I didn't think of that. The MX cap just works good for me, since I don't ride it much on the street unless I'm going from trail to trail & it's what I'm used to.

Whatever cap they go with, 3 gallons will be great.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
The locking cap, unless IMS fits the stock one (unlikely), will very likely have a different key so you shouldn't necessarily need to turn off the bike to check gas.
The key for the gas cap would liekly be on the same keyring that the ignition key is on. Will need to shut down anyway. No biggy to shut it off, estart and all. I hope to see a locking cap too.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Now I just have to decide which color to go with. I like the white (opaque), because then I can do a visual check, but the black one might be the way to go. Hell, maybe green...

Quick Reply: IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!