IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
The syphon idea might work, but there is nothing complex about a vacuum pump. But if you run out of fuel, without the pump, how would you get the fuel to the carb
The fuel lines don't need to be weighted, they stay in place just fine.
Well...they require vacuum. That is added complexity. I just fixed a buddy's DR400 that was cutting out on him on a ride out in the desert three weeks ago. Darn vacuum line had a pinhole in it. The simpler, the better. That's why I converted my KLR650 petcock to a manual system, instead of relying upon a vacuum.

The line CAN stay where it is just fine...but, what happens when I turn the bike upside down? Shaped and wedged tubing, weighted metal end, and pulled by an external magnet, is better than just a tube in a wing. Riding in Death Valley, or on roads where nobody may be along in a week, or month, or year; even when riding with a buddy; I just like things as reliable as possible.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
And the magnet will work all sorts of fuel economy magic!
Hahaha anyone old enough to remember back in the day when we were pitting magnets on our fuel lines? Yeah me neither..LOL

Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

"Shaped and wedged tubing, weighted metal end, and pulled by an external magnet, is better than just a tube in a wing. Riding in Death Valley, or on roads where nobody may be along in a week, or month, or year; even when riding with a buddy; I just like things as reliable as possible."

Sounds kind of complex…

When you get to doing it you will see that you won't need to weight the fuel line as it is quite stiff, and the way it curves into the tank wings holds it tight, it can't flop around. I have flipped my bike and crashed it on a few occasions with no problems.

A pin hole is a problem for any line, especially a syphon. Even the slightest bit of preventative maintenance would negate that.

So if you ran out of fuel with a suction/syphon fuel supply, you would have to somehow create a syphon after you have refilled your tank by either sucking on the float bowl drain tube while cranking your motor, or some other undefined method. I would prefer to just turn the motor over and watch the fuel flow through the fuel lines and fill the in line filter and then down the the carb where it lights the motor into a glorious roar. Then go riding without the taste of gasoline in my mouth.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
"Shaped and wedged tubing, weighted metal end, and pulled by an external magnet, is better than just a tube in a wing...."

Sounds kind of complex…

When you get to doing it you will see that you won't need to weight the fuel line as it is quite stiff, and the way it curves into the tank wings holds it tight, it can't flop around. I have flipped my bike and crashed it on a few occasions with no problems.

A pin hole is a problem for any line, especially a syphon. Even the slightest bit of preventative maintenance would negate that.

So if you ran out of fuel with a suction/syphon fuel supply, you would have to somehow create a syphon after you have refilled your tank by either sucking on the float bowl drain tube while cranking your motor, or some other undefined method. I would prefer to just turn the motor over and watch the fuel flow through the fuel lines and fill the in line filter and then down the the carb where it lights the motor into a glorious roar. Then go riding without the taste of gasoline in my mouth.
Complex doesn't equal less reliable. EACH additional step I would take in addition to using a "stiff" fuel line (how stiff is it at over 120 degrees F?) ADDS reliability to a simple system. Depending upon vacuum SUBTRACTS from reliability. PM or not, vacuum hoses get dislodged (wrecks, bushes, etc), and a non-secured line in a tank can get dislodged more easily than a secured hose-end.

Do you choose NOT to use Locktite because it adds complexity and you've never lost a bolt?

I've run out of fuel on my KLX. Twice last weekend. The first time, I poured the quart I was carrying into the tank, hit the start button, and within about 3-4 turns, it lit "into a glorious roar". Same thing the second time. No taste of gas in my mouth. It's not complex, it's science.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a vacuum pump and a loose line laying in your tank. It's simply not as reliable as NOT depending upon a pump, and securing the line in a certain desireable spot.

This tete-a-tete did lead me to a better design, though, which I thank you for. The hose should go on the main fuel inlet standpipe. The bike would be run with the petcock on "reserve". When it runs out of fuel on reserve, the petcock would be switched over to "run", which would access the fuel in the wings via the hose on the main fuel standpipe.

Last edited by Blackheart58; 12-05-2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spellen
Old 12-06-2010, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

On the acerbis tank, cant you simply blow into the vent hose on the cap to create pressue "IF" you run out of gas?
that method should start the siphon right?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking

any updates on this gas tank? I emailed Chuck and for all you new readers here is his email so you can email him and show your interest. Chuck Im going to email you daily buddy!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trouble
I emailed Chuck and for all you new readers here is his email so you can email him and show your interest. Chuck Im going to email you daily buddy!!!
thats what i want to hear. keep it on there mind, and there more likely to get to it sooner.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:40 AM
1st Gear Member

chuckw@imsproducts.com
keep emailing him guys!
I forgot to add his email in my last post

Old 12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the long-range benefits of the Baker 1.1 gallon auxillary tank! No more hauling around quart jugs of gas for me...

Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

acerbis fits even more

Quick Reply: IMS to consider tank for the 09 generation bikes!