Handguards for a KLX250S...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Default Handguards

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Use a dremel and cut the welds holding the weights.
Mixed results: some have managed to drill and tap the weights (YMMV).
Thanks all!

So I think first I will try the Dremel option and if that doesn't work as well as I hopeor is too much hassle I will likely go with new bars.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

got tired of buying and returning handguards because the mounts would not fit...i just gave up....i have a pro taper seven eighths "se" carmichael bend with a custom "bow" crossbar....i welcome any recommendations for a handguard that can work on my handlebar...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

^ whats that a stabilizer?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
^ whats that a stabilizer?
yes...a stabilizer...scotts performance steering damper...do a lot of long high-speed freeway/highway rides on poorly paved roads (they finally recently started repaving the highways)....after a few tank slappers, decided to have the suspension professional adjusted and put on a stabilizer...haven't had even a slight freeway wiggle ever since....

Last edited by ahnh666; 12-09-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

i hear ya i get same symptoms with mine, ppl keep saying its my dogbones, tires, balance... idk ill get one maybe, other stuff on the list first.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
i hear ya i get same symptoms with mine, ppl keep saying its my dogbones, tires, balance... idk ill get one maybe, other stuff on the list first.
it could be all of the above...proper tire pressure was first thing i checked...2nd, was suspension....i basically watched a youtube video on how to adjust front and rear sag...i did my own adjustments and it definitely helped...and, sitting forward helped also...i still made an appointment with a professional moto shop...i'm only 145 lbs. and about 5'10"...a 1 inch riser dog bone was installed...front and rear weight distribution...and, sag adjustments cold and hot...(they laughed at whoever did the sag adjustments last...i just stayed quiet)...it was a huge difference in handling after getting a professional adjustment according your weight....the stabilizer was just the icing on the cake to keep the moto stable and wiggle free even at 80 mph to 90+ mph....

Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Acerbis Storm

Option for winter

Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a Yamaha bend alu bars on my KLX. I made the spacers on my lathe and cut the handle bar end of the guard off to mount in the last hole for the black plastic guard[bottom photo]. These[mid] mounts are different than the Cycras I put on my CRF and DRZ?

The original hole for the black end guard is right over the bolt that goes into the bar end. I drilled a new hole to hold the black plastic part on. These were the first guards I put on a bike and had a bit more fun than I needed.

Tom Edison and I put the same [cycra] ones on his KLX. We made a alu spacer for the end of the bars[stock] and taped the inserts. Also made spacers like on mine. All went well.

I have mounted cycras on two 09 KLXs one 400 DRZ and a CRF 150 RB. The CRF was the only one I didn't have to make some sort of part for. I have a 520 KTM with a different Cycra system again.

The forward part from the handle bar is different on the two KLXs than the newer ones I put on the CRF and DRZ must be a new and improved mount kit.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: Cheshire, in between the Welsh hilly bits and the Peak district hilly bits - just about in the North
Default Acerbis Guards on 09 KLX

Couple of snaps of Acerbis guards on my bike. I drilled and tapped the bar ends, suprisingly easy to do ~ the bar ends are fairly soft alloy. I spaced the guards off the bars a touch to clear the lever ends, saved having to cut the ***** of the levers. A bit of re-routing with cables and wires job done. The Acerbis colour match is spot on.

The mirror is on the right hand side as being in England we drive on the correct side of the road rather than the right

Attached Thumbnails Handguards for a KLX250S...-111019-klx-3-.jpg   Handguards for a KLX250S...-111019-klx-15-.jpg  
Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I put HDB Hand guards and mirrows on my 250 they are great and mirrors are usable on the street

Quick Reply: Handguards for a KLX250S...