Sights 'N Sounds Upload and Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Kawasaki's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Ride to Mt. Baker

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Default Ride to Mt. Baker

Damn... I've been to Mt. Baker more times than I can count, but always in a car/truck with snowboards attached, as Mt. Baker has been nicknamed "The Mecca for Snowboarders"... It's had a world-record for snow-fall, and I was there that year... they actually had to dig the chair lifts out. But that's not what I'm here to talk about. Today I rode up on my bike for the first time. and, well... Damn.

That must've been the best 300+ miles round-trip of twisty mountain roads I've ever been on. It was 65 degrees and sunny out, so I was perfectly comfy the whole ride, not to cold, not to hot, juuuuuust right. Lots of 40 & 50 mph curves, with a healthy dose of 20-30 mph twisties, and a good sprinkling of 15 mph mountain loopbacks made for an amazing trip. Not much traffic, and those that were out, yielded .

This was also my first ride with tunes in my helmet... Not something I'd really do in the city, but on those back roads, you can really hit a groove. I forgot my camera (well, it's at work, and I took this week off, so I didn't want to go in to get it...), so all I had was my cell phone. I've got some crappy pics, but thought I'd share them with you all. It was just beautiful... lots of snow at the top, and only a few areas where it slid onto the roadway.

[IMG]local://upfiles/288/721E38CE79AC457E9DAD86CB738A114D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2006, 05:14 AM
Default RE: Ride to Mt. Baker

And the lift...

[IMG]local://upfiles/288/F2EDB44A9BAD4459BFFBD1F9121FF6D9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2006, 05:25 AM

Approx. Route: About 300+ miles if you count detours... Next time I'll bring my GPS so I can print out a map for you guys.

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/index.php...8.441045&mag=9

Next time I think I'll take the mountain loop hwy 2, then up around 97, 153, back on 20, and down on 9... But I need to work on my buns of steel before I can pull that one off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/288/1C8890EF3B4648979952C931654E22CA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Nice!!! Wierd to see snow still... we haven't got any all year... kinda cool man!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Gerg
But I need to work on my buns of steel before I can pull that one off.
Well I don't know about that!!!

Nice pics Gerg! Looks like it was an awesome ride!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Wow still lots of snow, glad to here you had a great time. Don't forget to put your camera in the trunk next time.

What kind of GPS are you using and do you mount it on your bike so you can use it while riding. I want one bad

Thanks for the pics too, its nice to see where everyone rides.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: bluebird
But I need to work on my buns of steel before I can pull that one off.
Well I don't know about that!!!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock
Wow still lots of snow, glad to here you had a great time. Don't forget to put your camera in the trunk next time.
What kind of GPS are you using and do you mount it on your bike so you can use it while riding. I want one bad
Yeah, no kidding... Definately want to do that next time. Back at work today , so I can pick up my camera and stuff it in my tankbag.

I have one of these from my kayaking days: http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76/ Not too easy to read on the bike though. I've just stuck it in the trunk a few time to capture trips so I can look at all the side-roads on a map later... I often don't know or care where I'm going while I'm on my bike, and get blissfully lost. Though it would be good to have one for riding, to help find the nice roads, or if I care about actually finding my destination.

I'm looking around for one now... let me know if you find anything good..

Old 05-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Notstock
Yeah, no kidding... Definately want to do that next time. Back at work today , so I can pick up my camera and stuff it in my tankbag.

I have one of these from my kayaking days: http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76/ Not too easy to read on the bike though. I've just stuck it in the trunk a few time to capture trips so I can look at all the side-roads on a map later... I often don't know or care where I'm going while I'm on my bike, and get blissfully lost. Though it would be good to have one for riding, to help find the nice roads, or if I care about actually finding my destination.

I'm looking around for one now... let me know if you find anything good..
I want to get one, last ride I had a crap map and felt lost alot of the time. I just do not want to run out of fuel and be in the middle of no where, last time in the desert I finaly turned around because I could not figure out where I was. It was the boonies too, who knows who would be stopping to help you, serial killer or what.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

nice pics....