Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Lowsided my bike...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Lowsided my bike...

Hey Battrecon. To bad about going down on the bike and like the others have said glad to here your ok from the fall. And the bike doesn't look to bad actualy from the picture. Hope you have a safe deployment over there. I've been there when all of this stuff started. Be safe and watch your six.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:56 AM

Hello all,

Returned from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago. Between my best friends wedding, further training and a lot of drinking I haven't had a chance to get on the forum. Fear not I'm back in the loop for a couple of days. I'll be returning to Asscrackistan mid june so lets make the most of it. *LOL*

Just wanted to pass on an update. I decided to keep the ZX9 and really make it "Old Hotness". The carbon fiber race tail, front fender and intake tubes came in today from Airtech. I had thought about doing the bike in all carbon but the cost is way too much. I went with fiberglass for the upper/lower fairing, fuel tank and airbox. The fiberglass will be here soon I hope, I need to get it to paint at least before I leave. I have also got a full Galfer brake system sitting in the garage. The Galfer lines are already installed to include the clutch line. I'm having a difficult time with removing the front wheel but it's only a matter of time. I decided to go with the Lightech carbon mirrors and a racing fuel cap. I also found out that Scott Racing makes a steering damper for my bike so I ordered one of those.

In the very near future I'm going to pick up a RAM single sided swing arm and carbon wheels. I'm going with the slightly shorter ZX7 style swingarm and bumping the rear wheel width to 6 inches. I'm also plotting an engine swap with a 98 or newer ZX9 engine and running the Muzzy big bore kit. We're talking not-so-near future for that craziness.

I think that's it. I'm going to work some pics of the new stuff and the bikes progress a little later.

Scotty

Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member

sounds like a plan and a half bro. cant wait to see the final product.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:20 AM

That makes two of us. Due to lack of time I'm not going to be able to ride it until my next break in August some time. The bike is going to be really hot. When I pulled the carbon tail from the box I nearly started to tear. Airtech does really good work and they are cool to work with as well. The best part of the whole project is the performance gains. The loss of weight is off the chart. This is Jenny Craig for older sportbikes...

Old 06-01-2006, 08:28 AM
1st Gear Member

damm bro that sucks...keep it safe

Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Welcome back!!

That's a heck of a project...any idea on the paint scheme yet?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to see you back here Scotty! Sounds like the bike is gonna look awesome when you're done! Keep us posted on your progress!

Old 06-01-2006, 04:57 PM

that's sweet. You got one heck of a project on your hands. Good luck and post pics asap.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Amen brother 10r is the way to go.........[8D]

Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 AM

Good times. I finished the front Galfer set. Got the rotors, HH pads installed and bled them. That turned out really nice.

As for color scheme... I'm leaving the carbon panels bare for obvious reasons. The fiberglass stuff I'm doing in a custom orange. Start with florescent orange topped with a pearl white making a pseudo metalic signal orange. The fairings and tank will be in that color. I have some concrete ideas for graphics in Kaw green on the orange for serious contrast. Doing a large graphic on the left maybe a kanji on top of that. The call out stickers/make-believe sponsor decals on the right with matching kanji strategically placed. Haven't decided what I want to do with the tail yet. I have a couple of months to think about it while I'm dodging bullets and rockets. *LOL*

I finally got the good intel on the RAM swing arm. They don't list one for the ZX9's of my year but they do have them for the ZX7's. I was able to confirm that the ZX7 swing arms are the same except they are a little shorter. That works to my advantage so the RAM and some DyMags have officially hit my need to have list. I'm going to put off the big bore kit a couple more months to make way for the the carbon and magnesium goodies.

I guess that's it for now. I'm going to try to post some pics. Hopefully I can make this work.

Scotty

The first pic is "Old Busted as it sits, more or less. Second is the collection of carbon. The third is a side shot of the tail mounted for instructional purposes only. I should note that the tail light was mounted after I received the race tail, it did not come that way. In the event of confusion.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/972/C0C012F0E7D04FD098EE14CF38E99A6A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/972/6F74AD0348BF40B4BDE09F321EE8E4CB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/972/C938AC2BB15A480499EAC4CB6AA8EE5E.jpg[/IMG]