Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

I hate being indecisive...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Default I hate being indecisive...

Picking a first bike has got to be one of the hardest things ever.. I was set on the GS500F, but I can't seem to find any around here.. and the more I see Ninja 250's cruising around town, the more I want to just go get one. Gah!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I hate being indecisive...

Well then, go get the Ninja!!! you will like it!

Old 06-01-2006, 07:37 PM

I think I wouldn't mind it but I don't know if I would be ok with it after a week or so. I don't think it's 'sporty' enough for me. I dunno it's a little hard to explain. The bikes I love are the bigger ninjas, the R6, the F4i, the GSX-R.. I just don't think the 250 has enough of the same type of feel. It looks more like a standard than a sport bike.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I hear ya - but one bonus is the fact that you aren't stuck in one riding position. If you want to be sitting fairly upright - you can be, if you want to be tucked over the tank - you can be. I find with my bike, I can go for fairly long distances and still be quite comfortable (other than my a##!) because if I find one position uncomfortable after a while I can just change my position and I'm good to go.

I guess all in all, its up to you - personally for me - looks weren't the most important thing. Just think -if you weren't so darn picky - you could be out riding right now !

Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 PM

it's a sign. lol No but for real. Just a first time bike go with the comfortable bike. I'm telling you. The sporty bikes take time getting used to. My palms, wrists, a$$, legs and shouldes were sore. Get something comfortable for awhile, then move up when you've got some miles on ya.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I was the same way. I like the "sport bikes" and the 250 seemed to fall short of them. My bf has an R1 and he picked up my bike for me after I bought it. He said it wasnt bad, obviously not his R1 but it would definately be fun. I am glad I bought the 250. I can get a season of riding in then next year, get the R6 I have been dreaming about. The nice thing about the 250's is they are cheap to buy and sell fast. Try it you might like it! ( and if not, sell it) What ever you get, have fun and be safe.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt go with a bigger bike for your first bike unless you have alot of self control

Old 06-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: littledevil

it's a sign. lol No but for real. Just a first time bike go with the comfortable bike. I'm telling you. The sporty bikes take time getting used to. My palms, wrists, a$$, legs and shouldes were sore. Get something comfortable for awhile, then move up when you've got some miles on ya.
I agree with LD, except you should not be putting so much weight on your upper body, although it is hard to get used to this, you should be griping and holding on with your legs on a sport bike. The less weight and input that you apply to the bars the better for the bikes suspension, like under heavy braking you should be applying your weight to the seat, front of the tank and holding on with your leg. Little or no weight shoukd be transfer to the bars which in turn gets transferred to the front suspension and makes it harder top control the bike. Get off those bars LD.

If you get the 250 it is a rather inexpensive bike and you will get the needed riding experience from it. After a year or so you can resell it, or keep it, and go get that 636 and a whole new world will open up.
If you chose to get the 636 now you just need to use self control like TX said and move up in speed and harder riding as your skills progress, jumping to far ahead to quickly can result in some severe consequences that may prevent you from ever riding or even living again. I or no one wants to here something like that.
Ride safe and have fun.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

NS....i love how people complain about the seat on long rides. When i ride my 636 long rides....all my weight is on my legs. My *** barely touches the seat usually

Old 06-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

I get lazy on long freeway rides and tend to move my weight to my arms, bad, and I do not notice it until my wrist start hurting.
On cruisers or sit up bikes you’re a$$ will get sore do to the riding position puts your weight on your butt. Like Bluebird says she just changes her position and all is good.

Quick Reply: I hate being indecisive...