Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Harbor Freight Tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Harbor Freight Tools

So it's no secret that Harbor Feight tools are cheap. Very very cheap. Walking into one of their stores is like going into a candy store though. Every tool imaginable, all for a price that you can do that day! But are they worth the money? What is your experience with Harbor Freight? Is there a reason why they're so cheap? Do you, as they say, get what you pay for?

Also, what kind of tools are you partial to? You a Craftsman man? Or does Black and Decker do the job? What are you into?

Old 08-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Craftsman might be ok for hand tools, but for serious power tools look elsewhere, such as Milwakee, DeWalt, and so on. Similarly Black and Decker. My father was an electrician by trade and he burned up my $30 Black and Decker drill in about 5 minutes by simply drilling soft pine 2x6's with a 5/8 spade bit while we running romex. After asking me why do I buy that junk, he gave me a $120 Milwakee drill to replace it. Thanks dad! That was over 20 years ago and that Milwakee drill is still running strong and has seen some pretty hard use. Lesson learned. I guess the cheap stuff is OK for the weekender if you baby it, but it won't hold up for real work or if it sees daily use or even weekly use. The lesson I learned over 20 years ago after seeing that cheap drill go up in smoke so easily was to invest in quality tools, otherwise you will be buying them again. And again. And the cheap tools will ultimately be more expensive in the long run.

I have no experience with Harbor Freight, though, but a friend of mine loves that place.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

yes, forget anything electrical in the craftsman lineup. Junk
Most of the items in Harbor Freight feel cheap as well although there are certain items that if you use once can prove beneficial. The motorcycle lift is decent, the tire changer can be modified, and I am trying out the 2hp air compressor for light work. (I take it to the track for tires only)

Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Harbor Freight, Good for one time use on most things.
If you plan to make money with your tools. Depends on the trade. Cars, Trucks, Bikes, Etc. Snap-on, Mac. (Bad thing w/ them is. you have to hunt down the rep. to replace it) Craftsman, good too, you can always find a Sears. If your working with Wood, Metals, Construction. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Porter&Gable, Bosch, Hilti.
You do get what you pay for when it comes to performance and long lasting.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Old 08-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

(Bad thing w/ them is. you have to hunt down the rep. to replace it)
exactly, it is easier to hit the sears store than try and hail a snap on truck. lol

Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

You have to be careful what you get from harbor freight. Any of your pliers or screwdrivers are gna suck big time! I've had a really good experience with my kobalt tools (lowes brand tool). They have a lifetime warranty and have been durable in the shipbuilding environment - which is EXTREMELY rough on anything. I have a select few craftsman tools nad have never had a problem with them.

Ultimately, Dewalt has them beat hands down. You can drop a drill from a 25ft platform and the thing continue working. You will pay for durability though.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Ultimately, Dewalt has them beat hands down. You can drop a drill from a 25ft platform and the thing continue working. You will pay for durability though.
hahaha, I still carry my little dewalt screw gun with me on every roof top.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
hahaha, I still carry my little dewalt screw gun with me on every roof top.
Hehe Nice!!

Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Chiksta knows about those tools