Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Gun safety

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Gun safety

When I had small kids. I kept my gun loaded and on a high shelf in the closet, and had a latch at the top of the closet door. There was no way they could get to the gun. The closet shelf was just about 12 inches from the ceiling in the closet and there was no way they could climb to that point even if they could get in. Yet I could have my gun in hand in about 40 seconds.
Just a suggestion, no guarantees.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I think that if you work with the kids and teach them from the time they are young that guns are not toys and to respect them, then they will grow up to respect them. I will tell you that when my son got his first gun at age 8, I sat down with him before he even opened the box and we talked about gun safety and how he was either going to be responsible or he would lose the priviledge of gun ownership. I will tell you that he has messed up one time and pointed his unloaded gun in my direction and he was given a good reminder not to do it agian, and lost his gun for 6 months. I have had not problems with him since and my daughter will be treated the same way if she ever does the same thing.

I volunteered at my sons Cub Scout day camp this year as the range master for archery and bb guns, and I can tell you that "most" kids are more than willing to learn about safety. I think that alot of gun accidents that involve kids are because parents hide the gun and never educate the child in gun safety.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:56 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jperkins812

I think that if you work with the kids and teach them from the time they are young that guns are not toys and to respect them, then they will grow up to respect them. I will tell you that when my son got his first gun at age 8, I sat down with him before he even opened the box and we talked about gun safety and how he was either going to be responsible or he would lose the priviledge of gun ownership. I will tell you that he has messed up one time and pointed his unloaded gun in my direction and he was given a good reminder not to do it agian, and lost his gun for 6 months. I have had not problems with him since and my daughter will be treated the same way if she ever does the same thing.

I volunteered at my sons Cub Scout day camp this year as the range master for archery and bb guns, and I can tell you that "most" kids are more than willing to learn about safety. I think that alot of gun accidents that involve kids are because parents hide the gun and never educate the child in gun safety.

Well said, education is key.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Well said. However, my boys are way too wild to learn about guns right now. That's something that is going to have to wait. But a safe is also a good idea.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Member

yea when its time she will be educated and it will de de definatly be locked up one way or the other just wondering how the masses do it. just figured i ought to b able to get to it as quick as i can in an emergency. the fingerprint boxes are not as expensive as i thought, figured they were $800 plus but found em for alot less than that. anyone have experience with these ie.how well they keep out unwanted users and not reject the wanted ones. I live in a small town but crime is everywhere right.last month a town over a dad hears his 10yo daughter screamin runs into her roomto find some 24yo crazy attacking her with a machete in the middle of the night he stops him but both daughter and dad in intensive care for slashes. I got a BIG DOG running around too that they would hafta get by but she is a big teddybear more of a herder than attack dog very protective of the kids but instead of growling and barking she will put her body between kids and whoever she deems unsavory kinda funny to watch her do it. After dark itsa different story she is on watch and barks at people she doesn't know who come over don't know how she would react but i hope she would be protective if she sensed danger. crazy dog refuses to come inside though stays outside 365 days a year at least she sleeps right outside the door in an semi open covered porchName:  babypictures1stmemorycard003.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  145.6 KB

Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry bout the pic dont know how to make em not do that
P.S. thanks for the replys i really appreciate em i love this forum

Old 07-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Educating kids is mandatory, I think that goes without saying. But your kids bring friends over, have sleep-overs, birthday parties, etc. Your house may be full of kids at these times that are NOT educated. Unsecured guns in a house with kids is negligent, IMO.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Educating kids is mandatory, I think that goes without saying. But your kids bring friends over, have sleep-overs, birthday parties, etc. Your house may be full of kids at these times that are NOT educated. Unsecured guns in a house with kids is negligent, IMO.
If I had alot of kids over my house than I may keep them secured in a safe, but we may have two extra kids in the house at any given time. My room and the closet that I store my guns in are completely off limits, and we keep track of the kids at all times when they are awake and running around. I would say that a negligent person would be one that is one that does not keep track of the kids at all times, and I understand that my be the way it is in some households. We let no kids over the house unless we know their family and the child is well behaved, and trust me I have banned a few of my sons friends from the house because they can not show respect as they should.

This is all I am going to say on this subject, because everyone has a different idea on gun gun control and gun safety. I am a safe person and have worked with my kids for years now and they are going to grow up with the knowledge that guns are to be respected for the power that they hold.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jperkins812

trust me I have banned a few of my sons friends from the house because they can not show respect as they should.

hehe, ive been banned from 3friends housed solely because of my insane comments/ideas... apparently when you turn 35 you loose your sence of humor/ability to pick up on scarcasam[8D]

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Not at all. It's just that as you get older you start to lose your tolerancefor smart-*** kids.

Quick Reply: Gun safety