Chain suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Default Chain suggestions?

I'd like to get a new chain for my bike. 00 ZX9R. I'm dumb when it comes to chains! I've been told it's a 525, 110 link, and i've heard 530 too. 110 is the length, right? What's the difference between a 525 and 530? What do you run, and where did u get it? Did you take out a second mortgage on your house to buy it? You're supposed to replace the sprockets at the same time as the chain, so they wear together, right? Sorry for the noob question!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Chain suggestions?

530 is heavier and stronger than the 525. I use the 530 for the street but that is what my bike came with stock. If you change to the 530 or any other size besides your stock size you will need to replace your sprockets as well. Good news is that sprockets are not that expensive.

I also like the gold chains and went with DID brand. Sorry no pics on this computer.
www.sprocketcenter.com is where I have purchased all y chains and sprockets.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:02 AM

You may also want to count how many teath the rear sprocket has on it. I thought mine was a stock setup, but found that it wasn't. The stock 2000' has 41 teeth in the rear, mine had 45. My Kawasaki service manul states a stock 525, but mine had a 530? From Kawasaki's site they state a 2000' has a 530 and the 2002' ZX9 had a 525 size chain setup. Anyway. I then ordered these from here at a good buy know price.

I went with a 525 chain brand new fro $41 + shipping

525-110 XW-Ring chain

http://stores.ebay.com/Moto-Racing-Specialties

I then bought a 525 Vortex wheelie sprocket set down 1 in front and 3 up in back. Seems close to what my 45 tooth rear was. Lots of torque.

http://stores.ebay.com/SUM-OF-ALL-PARTS-STORE

They both offer good prices on a chain sprocket set.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:53 PM

I'm a newby here but I do have lots of experiance with chain and sprockets. Its my opinion that you would be better off with a 530 chain on a 130+ hp bike. a 520 chain is a light duty chain that poeple convert to to save a little weight and pick up some throttle response (its not really that noticalbe) even though its going to stretch and wear out much faster. It is a little chain for a big power bike. If you don't want to replace your chain every year spend the money on a high quality chain. The X-ring II is a great chain with a high tensle strength. If you buy a high quality chain that isn't going to stretch muchso your sprockets are naturally going to last longer. If your chain stretches its going to cause more wear on your sprockets. Factory chainsare cheap, basic reasoning says if you adjust your chain a lot parts are wearing out. So you can choose, save lots of money on a cheap chain and sprockets but replace them often or spend some cash and they will last 3 times as long (not to mesion the security you get of knowing you have a chain that is a lot less likely to break). Another thing is to make sure you buy a chain that is made for street use. Its will run cooler than an offroad chain and last much longer.
Something else I read in another post is that the rear sprocket is equal to 2-3 teeth on the front sprocket. Thats not really accurate, its more like 3-4 teeth. Also the sprocket ratio will effect the torque, not flywheel torque, that doesn't change, but the rear wheel torque changes with gearing, If you make a dyno run your torque will be much higher is 2nd gear than it will be in 4th gear. Final ratio's do effect the rear wheel torque.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 PM

Oh I forgot length. In most casesa newchain will be longer than you need. So changing ratio's isn't really going to effect the length of chain you'll need to buy. Now if you extend your swingarm then your gonna have to buy a longer chain. Sprocket size only effects your chain length by a couple links, just make sure you test fit your chain before you cut it to size.
I hope this info helps out.