New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

any and all suggestions would be good

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 05:57 AM
Default any and all suggestions would be good

i am new to the world of bikes, and i am looking to get started, so first i need to learn all the info i'll need to pass my test, any tips on were to get good study material? i tried to sign up for classes but there booked for months. which is ok because it will only give me more time to save for a better bike.

ok so if i pass my test i'll need a bike any suggestions on a bike for a guy thats is 5, 10 and 185lbs. with no riding experiance? the one thing that is important to me is speed, i need the fastest bike that a beginner could learn on?

any help would be good!

Old 09-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: any and all suggestions would be good

Welcome bro, You are on track so far with taking the MSF course. As for study material, get the guide from your local DMV. The written test is mainly commonsense but there are a few tricky questions that are there to through you off. I personally have never not passed a written driving test from 16 on.

For a bike if you want the fastest for a beginner go with a 600cc bike. Its got just as much power as a liter bike off the line and into the midrange of the power band. The 636 Kaw is and the R6 Yamaha are my favorite.

I understand the need for speed more than anyone, I love to go fast and the faster the better, but start out slow and gain some experience before hitting it hard. Once you get your first bike you will understand the actual power it has, especially if you go the 600cc way. Other good starters are 250, 500 there are lots but you asked for the fastest.

Remember to save for some gear and get the pants too not just a jacket hopefully. You should budget about 800.00 -1200.00 at least for gear. I roll with about 1800.00 worth of gear. It will save your ***.

Ride safe and welcome to the two wheel life. It Rocks!

Old 09-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

hey dude, welcome to the forum. notstock is right. go to your local DMV and get a hand book. and also go to a book store and pick up a book from KIETH CODES. "TWIST OF THE WRISTE". it's a great book for poeple who are starting out on the world of two wheels... and take the MSF class. that helps alot too... very important buy the right gear... jacket, gloves,boots,helmet, and pants. so if and when you go down, you will be protected. as far as bikes go, a good 600 would be a HONDA F4I. or an older ZX6.... both bike are very forgiving. and just remember. DON'T EVER RIDE OVER YOUR HEAD... take your time and learn the bike and how to control the bike.. the second you disrespect the bike.... bad things always happens.... so gear up and ride safe....

Old 09-14-2005, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: kicknox

i am new to the world of bikes, and i am looking to get started, so first i need to learn all the info i'll need to pass my test, any tips on were to get good study material? i tried to sign up for classes but there booked for months. which is ok because it will only give me more time to save for a better bike.

ok so if i pass my test i'll need a bike any suggestions on a bike for a guy thats is 5, 10 and 185lbs. with no riding experiance? the one thing that is important to me is speed, i need the fastest bike that a beginner could learn on?

any help would be good!

Fast is a relative term. Relative to a car, even the Ninja 250 is pretty fast in terms of acceleration. As a newb starting out, you really should not be worried about what the fastest is. Any new 600cc supersport is insanely fast and the 1000cc sportbikes are just astounding. Neither of which are good beginner bikes. Most of the new supersport bikes are just a step below what you see being raced by pros in the AMA supersport and superbike series. You will become a better rider faster by starting out small and then moving up. Respecting a bikes capability is important but one must realize that mistakes are often the result of inexperience and can happen no matter how much you respect the bike. The more powerful the bike the more the severity of these mistakes can be amplified. Be smart and don't let your ego decide which bike is best to start on. If you must start on a 600, I would choose either the Yamaha YZF600R or FZ6, Suzuki SV650S, or Honda 599. A step above those would be the ZZR600 or Honda CBR600 F4i which were top of the line supersports just a few years back.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:08 AM

wow i cant belive how helpfull and nice you all were, that is rare to find in this day in age. well i just signed up for my classes but the soonest class available is nov 26th so i'll have planty of time to save.

so here is another question. does each of you get all geared up each time you go out? what if your going some were that you wouldn't want to be wearing such things, do you only wear your helmet then? maybe a dickies jacket? what exactly does all the gear do to protect you? maybe drop some names of good places to shop, if you would be so kind, thanks again

Old 09-15-2005, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

most of the time i wear my helmet, boot, jacket and gloves. but i have two types of boost.. one pair for riding and another pair for going around but still have good pretection. any bike shop has good gear. good luck gear up and ride safe....

Old 09-15-2005, 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: kicknox

wow i cant belive how helpfull and nice you all were, that is rare to find in this day in age. well i just signed up for my classes but the soonest class available is nov 26th so i'll have planty of time to save.

so here is another question. does each of you get all geared up each time you go out? what if your going some were that you wouldn't want to be wearing such things, do you only wear your helmet then? maybe a dickies jacket? what exactly does all the gear do to protect you? maybe drop some names of good places to shop, if you would be so kind, thanks again
I wear my gear about 95% of the time. This includes helmet, gloves, riding jacket and over the ankle boots or riding shoes. I have riding pants but only wear them on certain occasions (long trips, bad weather) so I wear jeans mostly. I often see other motorcylclists with only a helmet and while that's comfortable in hot weather, to me it is not worth the risk of losing my skin in the event of an accident. The only time I don't wear gear (other than a helmet) is on my 1 mile trip to the gym.

As for buying gear, most motorcycle dealerships sell various items but they are usually over priced. I buy all my gear online from:
www.motorcyclecloseouts.com
www.tonker.com
www.newenough.com

Hope this helps. Good luck with the MSF, finding a bike, and getting your gear. I've only been a rider for a couple of years with about 13,000 miles on the road. My only regret is that I didn't start riding many years earlier it's a blast. Oh and if you're interested, a good book for learning all about motorcycling is " The Complete Idoits Guide to Motorcycling". Seriously, it is a great source of information. I pretty much had it memorized before I even took the MSF.

Old 09-15-2005, 05:51 PM

haha thanks for all the help and suggestions, and i laugh because i went out and bought that book last night b4 reading your responce, it looks good i cant wait to start reading.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

I wear my gear every time I go out. I don't have riding pants yet (I've been hinting to family members that these would make a great x-mas gift!) so I wear jeans. Helmet, jacket, gloves and over the ankle military style boots every single time I go out, regardless of where I am headed.

Thus far I have invested just under $600.00 canadian in my gear. Well worth every penny in my mind!