What sets the bike apart both good and bad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What sets the bike apart both good and bad...

Ok so itlooks like I'm going to buy a 2006 Kawasaki 636 ZX6R...but what I'd like to know from owners is this: What sets this bike apart both good and bad from the other 600 cc bikes. I won't lie, mytrue considerations were the CBR600RR, YZF-R6, Kawi 636,Triumph Daytona675 and not so much, but also the Suzuki gixxer 600 and mytop choice was the Triumph Daytona 675, but I simply can't afford it. I do like this Kawi andit was my 2nd ranked on my listand know I'll be happy with it, but I'm curious. Is the bike too long, too fat, too bulky, too slow, etc. What does it do well? What don't you like? What do you love and simply cannot get on without. How does it compare with the other bikes you've ridden in the same class? The more info the better and I think this could help others thinking about buying.

FYI I think I'm gettin the bike on Thursday!!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What sets the bike apart both good and bad...

pretty much all the top4 600cc bikes will fit abotu the same - slight differences in comfort from seat shape etc. but this is after all a kawasaki forum so you know which bike we chose.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

What sets it apart? So far as the 600cc class goes, it has more midrange and more top end power. My 636 is, without a doubt, faster out of the corners AND on the straights than my CBR 600RR was and they are both 2006 year model bikes. Comfort and ergonomics are about the same, with a very slight edge going to the 636. My CBR turned in faster, but the front suspension was not as good in stock form.

What sets most bikes apart is the rider. If you don't do track days, it really does not matter much. Get what appeals to you more.

636's bikes seem to be in demand now that they are no longer made though.

I am not brand oriented either and am just telling you like it is. My current bikes include 3 Honda's, 4 Suzuki's, one Aprilia and one Kawi. I buy what suits me.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i agree with meanstrk, the best bike is the one you like the most. there all similar in everything, unless you hit the track then you see big differences.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM

i love the mid range power of my 636, just for fun my friend and i did 3rd gear roll ons from 4k he rides an 07 r6 and i left him like he wasnt moving until about 11k when he started to catch up. one thing i dont like a lot is how wide the back end is but thats minor and it doesnt bother me much imo the bike is comfy as hell. the shifts are sometimes crisp and clean but can at times feel sloppy trying to find first from neutral, other than that shes my baby and i wouldnt want any other bike

Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

out of all my friends, im the only kawi rider. the gixxer is a bit higher, and the seats a bit wider. the r6 is pretty comfortable, but i dont think the brakes were as good, but that might just me. i definitely like my bike the most. and another plus is that kawi parts are easy to find, and relatively inexpensive in comparison to other brands.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Interesting...so the extra torque is something you guys really can feel? I've ridden other 600cc class bikes, but maybe I haven't ridden them all enough in as many situations to feel the benefits of those extra few cc's. I was also wondering about the long distance comfort because I've read it's pretty bad, however, I do know it's likely bad on most sportbikes anyways. Any thoughts? Also gas mileage wise how does that extra torque affect it?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

All 600ccrace replicasport bikes suck for comfort. They are race bikes, meant for the track. If your just commuting and riding around town there are FAR better bikes then all the ones you listed. My zx6r is a track bike, and I use an Aprilia Tuono as a street bike. It is faster, turns better, better brakes, more comfortable, more torque, more fun. It does everything better on the street. For someone who isn't competitively racing, the differences between modern 600cc bikes is looks and a bit of comfort. Unless your at the track you will not be anywhere near the limits of the bike.

For around town something without clipons is so much nicer to ride. If you don't have to do long highway commutes then a supermoto is the funnest street bikeyou will ride around town. A KTM690, Husky 610, etc are amazing bikes that are far more fun then a 600CC bike on the street.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

so the extra torque is something you guys really can feel?
I recently sold my CBR 600RR and kept the ZX-6R if that tells you anything. I never rode it on the street as a daily bike anyways. My daily rides are my DR 650 or Aprilia Futura. Much more comfortable!