General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

took my bike apart

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Default took my bike apart

Hi all, I'm new to bikes and to this forum.

98 zx7r, 25,000,
full service when i bought her last month
ran fine after service

I took my bike apart to clean it (when i didnt have a manual) and see what made this thing tick. Now when I start her, she runs rough, like there's missing or something. I didnt do anything outrageous, just took off the gas tank down to the carb, and the front face fairing. Tightened a loose cable nut, I think it was to the choke. Cleaned and reoiled the air filter. Anyone have any suggestions.

Tried to take it apart again and put what I corrected or didnt correct back like it was now the battery is dead from trying to start it without the air assembly on. What do I do now? Can u jump start a bike.

Mitch
98 zx7r
Culver City, CA

Old 12-28-2005, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: took my bike apart

If you applied to much oil to your air filter it my be choking the bike. Check it and see if there is oil in the box, if soo clean again and go easy on the oil.

Welcome to the forum bro.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Thanks notstock, I did check the air filter and there was some oil. Cleaned the box and vents and squeeze the remaining oil out. Battery is still dead. Can I use something else to start the bike or does it have to be the bike battery. No one seems to have them in stock in the la area.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Its a 12 volt system jump it with your car or buy a batery charger. The charger is a good investment.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cartandretti

Hi all, I'm new to bikes and to this forum.

98 zx7r, 25,000,
full service when i bought her last month
ran fine after service

I took my bike apart to clean it (when i didnt have a manual) and see what made this thing tick. Now when I start her, she runs rough, like there's missing or something. I didnt do anything outrageous, just took off the gas tank down to the carb, and the front face fairing. Tightened a loose cable nut, I think it was to the choke. Cleaned and reoiled the air filter. Anyone have any suggestions.

Tried to take it apart again and put what I corrected or didnt correct back like it was now the battery is dead from trying to start it without the air assembly on. What do I do now? Can u jump start a bike.

Mitch
98 zx7r
Culver City, CA

Dang, would also check out all of the hoses that you may have taken off during this. Vacuum lines? Sounded like a simple tear down. Curious.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Yes Dragon, nothing major. Just wanted to get to the engine block for some cleaning. The only hoses I removed was the one to the gas can of course, the two in front and the one in the back of the air cleaner box. I was to scared to do anything else. I put a 78 Olds Cutlass together from scratch, this should have been a cake walk.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, so how did you clean the "engine block?" Was the airbox on or off when you cleaned? Sounds like going back to basics may be in order. I like to unplug the wiring molex's, blow them out then reassemble them. There can be quite a few what if's to this question. Maybe as simple as undoing that cable nut and re-adjusting your choke.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:43 AM

Welcome to the forum...Hope you get your bike running soon

Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea, man good luck with your bike

Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 PM

hmm, so how did you clean the "engine block?"
Yes Dragone I did clean just the top half of the block where dirt settles. The airbox was fully off but thats all that was removed. I didnt touch any electrical wiring. The vaccum hoses I detached from the airbox only. I did put the cable nut to the choke like it was before the trouble began.

Since it has been raining in Los Angeles since Friday I have not had a chance to do anything. Friday I got it started. It is missing badly. I found that one of the cylinders was not getting a spark so I check the spark wire and found that the wire was not fully connected. I spliced the wire and reconnected it. The chamber is getting spark now but it is still missing badly. There is something else that is happening here besides some loose connection. Like I mention above I had a full service check when I got the bike. Supposedly nothing was wrong then (2 mo. ago). I took it too the shop today. Hopefully it is a small matter that is costing me 2 hrs labor. I will following up on this post because this is a simple procedure and I dont see why I'm having such a difficult time after cleaning a bike. Thanks all for your help, greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: took my bike apart