scorpio alarms

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Default scorpio alarms

just so you guys know. i have sent back my scorpio alarm twice now.(i have the full alarm, remote engine kill battery backup etc.) i posted about it before but i had a problem with the alarm not turning off and leaving me stuck waiting on it to turn off for as long as 30 mins, leaving me stranded running errands etc. it was an intermident problem, so i sent it back once and they diagnosed it and fixed the controller and sent it back, it worked fine for about 3 months then i had the same problem, this time it wouldnt turn off when i needed to be in court over one of my many many many speeding tickets, needless to say i showed up late and the judge was nice enough to reschedule, so i called scorpio, sent it back again (the module and the controller). they sent it back and replaced the controller, same module. (about a week turn around time) i taped up the connectors that go into the module to keep moisture out while they had the alarm. i get the alarm back, plug it in and nothing, no reset chirp, nothing. so i hook up a meter to see if im getting 12 volts to the connector end and checked the fuse and connection there. everythings good, so i call scorpio and talk with a tech there, he asked me if i have an integrated tail light, and i do (clear alternatives integrated light) ok, so apparently there is a problem with those lights and the scorpio alarm. the voltage from the integrated light is lower than that of the stock signals. when i installed the light i left the black wire back there alone, apparently that is a ground that needs to be grounded from the scorpio to work. ill find out tommorrow more about this problem but those of you with the integrated light and a scorpio alarm, if you start having problems this might help you. im going fix is tommorrow hopefully. just a little fyi.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: scorpio alarms

Thanks Fury. I have a scorpio also and was going to make my own integrated taillight. I will keep that in mind when I hook it all up.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 AM

good to know. please keep me updated. tx

Old 09-13-2006, 07:40 AM

yeah the black wire that runs to the stock signals is a ground the scorpio needs (i left it alone when i hooked up the clear alternatives integrated light) and everything worked fine, but scorpio is saying this is a common problem they are dealing with more and more. it needs to be grounded to the bike, so tommorrow i will do just that and see if it fixes the problem.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

doesnt that black wire go to the negative battery terminal?

Old 09-13-2006, 08:43 PM

mine didnt, it was hooked up to the stock signals some how i dont remember, its been a long time since i looked at it, i was on the phone with clear alternatives and they told me how to hook up the integrated light and i remember i asked the guy about the black wire (which i know black is typically a ground) he said just leave that wire alone so i did. dee dee dee... ill post more on this in a while im on my way to take it apart and mess with it right now.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on F O G ive got a scorpio also and i am planning on doing the intagrated tail light too. good looking out and let us know what you finger out.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:41 AM

ok, so heres the update, the black wire i was thinking of was actually the black wire with a yellow tracer. its from the factory harness and that wire you leave alone when hooking up the integrated light. i traced the path of the ground from the control module ends and found that the tech who installed my alarm before i brought the bike home did a typical half *** job and ran the ground into another ground wire using a ****tyy little plastic wire splicer/connector. so i used a male and female connection with a rubber cover and ran the ground straight to the negative post of the battery and viola. done. dumbass half *** techs.. i hate when other people work on my stuff, if i had my tools nobody would be touching my bike. so my advice is make sure the ground wire runs straight to the post of the battery and its a solid connection, dont run it to the frame etc.. that way you wont run into the same problem i did. im sure alot of people installed their own alarms and did it right the first time.. [:-]

Old 09-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

right on fury. glad you found the problem. i hate when tech's f@*k up too [:@]