peeling paint, how to prevent from getting worse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Default peeling paint, how to prevent from getting worse?

after 1700 miles, my paint is peeling ever so lightly on the fender near the gas tank, do i have any options to prevent it from getting worse? clear coat, nail polish, anything like that? warrente? thanks guys!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Knee Dragging Pimp
1st Gear Member
Default RE: peeling paint, how to prevent from getting worse?

clear nail polish will work, re clear coating, re painting. if its a chip caused by a rock chip then the warranty will not apply. if the paints just flaking off, take it in to the dealership.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:33 PM

There is no way to stop it from peeling. It will continue to peel back until it gets to an area that has proper adhesion. If it was not caused by anything you did or a stone or something like that then it shoud be covered under warranty. Otherwise you will need to take it to a paint shop and have it stripped and repainted. If it is only the front fender it shouldn't be too much. I noticed that the bike appears to be black and black is more susceptible to peeling than any other color so it may be a factory issue. I work for DuPont Automotive Finishes and if you have any more questions, feel free to email me direct at daniel.e.borland@usa.dupont.com.

Old 05-20-2006, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Taystyl, I happened to notice a post on this once before, and it was mentioned that some of the 06 Kawasaki 636 models that were painted black have had problems with paint peeling- even when they were still on the showroom floor so your problem might be a warranty issue. If the peeling hasn't been caused by a rock chipping the finish or something similar, than def. contact the dealer. Also, look on the frame of your bike look at the date of manufacture and let us know when it was made as this may be a paint problem with bikes manufactured between certain dates. (maybe a bad batch of paint/clear coat) My 06 636 is also black and was made in Feb 06 but I haven't had any problems with paint peel and have had the bike for almost 2 months now. How long have you had your ride?

Old 05-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

the reason the black paint peels easier, is because the bike is faster black, and the paint can't hold up to the high tolerance of pure speed !! lol

I think danb pegged it...official paint man right there...should be covered under warranty..