OIL to use in ZX-6R

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Default OIL to use in ZX-6R

Hello all, I am about to get a '05 zx-6r 636 ninja with about 3000 miles on it. It has had the oil changed once at the dealership. When I take delivery of it I am wanting to put fresh oil in it and wanted to know what's the best oil.

I really like Royal Purple oil, I use it in my LS1 Trans Am and I really like it. Top quality stuff. Have any of you used or heard of people using Royal Purple in their Ninja's? What seems to be the best out there. Here's what I found on the Royal Purple website, MaxCycle.....http://www.synerlec.com/prodsa/mcycle.html

Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OIL to use in ZX-6R

Welcome to the forum. IMO, the synthetics are all good oils as long as you change them on time depending on the operating conditions. I used Royal Purple on my van, but now use Mobile 1 or Valvoline Synthetic. The RP bearing load test was impressive though.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

honestly, if your not racing your bike, oil is oil, aslong as its motorcycle oil. just keep it changed regulary and you'll be fine.

I have seen the the royal purple did bad on motorcycle oil tests, but i know how they can scew the info as well.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 AM

What's up! Hey, I just asked the same question not too long ago. Check out this thread:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_62505/tm.htm

In my last post of the thread I stated I had decided to go with a full synthetic with very low miles on my bike, but it reality I actually changed my mind at the last second and bought a gallon of Motul 10W40 sythetic BLEND. The guy at the store told me it wasn't a wise decision to go with a full synthetic until after a few thousand miles have been racked up on the bike. I had heard this one too many times, and it changed my mind just-like-that. The bike runs beautifully.

In your case I would go with a full synthetic. Mobile1 10W40 (for 4-Strokes), or maybe a different weight/viscosity depending on the heat conditions in which your bike runs?

Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 AM

i wonder how many posts on this site are about oil. lol oil... the topic that never gets old.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:44 AM

ORIGINAL: FuryofGreen

i wonder how many posts on this site are about oil. lol oil... the topic that never gets old.

Hey, if it weren't for oil, forget about any form of transportation! It's like blood, you gotta have it to run right, and some types are better than others.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 AM

ORIGINAL: FuryofGreen

lol, also the topic that never seems to really get a straight answer... which makes sense. There are a few guidelines to go by when dealing with oil, no 'perfect' oil for any particular bike. If you ever hear otherwise, someone's been paid off. The only rule that I have heard is that you should never switch to full synthetic until after a few thousand miles, otherwise it may disrupt the break-in process of the engine. It's a strong recomendation that you use nothing higher than a 10w weight (not enough bearing clearance to circulate the higher weights at high RPM).

By the way, has anyone heard of this guy:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/

He has a lot of interesting ideas, but I'd really hate to test them with my $8900 loan (read: my bike) lol.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I use Amsoil & their Ea filters. Love that stuff.