HELP! Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:43 AM
Default RE: HELP! Where to begin?

Well after removing all the rust from the tank and cleaning out the fuel pump I have fixed the problem of not being able to surpass 10000 rpm and redline it The only thing thats making me angry now is that it still builds up pressure in the tank and I have to pull over to open the tank to relieve pressure. I'm getting tired of this! I talked to an awesome kawasaki joint here that has great service and technicians. My bike is a CA bike so it has all the emission crap on it (seperator, fuel tank return, canister ect). They told me that sometimes the canister will get 'soaked' with gas and cause a vacuum build up and cause the problem I'm having. Has anyone heard of this? He said that if I disconnect the 'green' hose that it should alleviate my problem. I don't know if I should just disconnect a vacuum hose and leave it disconnected from anything. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Sound like your vent hose is connected to the drain hose. Some monkey monkied with the hoses and connected them wrong. There is a drain hose that should run from underneath the tank to the bottom of the bike (frree; not connected to anything else). There should be another "Vent" hose at the rear of the tank that goes to the canister; unplug it from the canister had let it hang. Get some RXP for gas treatment and water removal. I wonder why there was so much rust in the tank? Must have gotten water in there somehow.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 AM

Ok, I'm FED up messing with this bike! [:@] I cleaned out the fuel tank and fuel pump. I've verified the vacuum routing is correct. When i rode it to work today it ran fine....but when I went to ride home for the day it ran for like 5 minutes then became unresponsive to throttle input and began to idle at like 750 rpm even with the throttle applied. I pulled off the road. I let it idle to see what happend and it just kept idling enough to stay running. When I tried to give it throttle get going again, it died on me. I left it off for like 5 minutes and started it up again. It fired right up and I put it in gear and got going. After about 1 mile it happend again (throttle became unresponsive) except this time it died and I coasted to the side of the road. I managed to get my bike back to my work garage and had to have my wife come and pick me up. If the throttle bodies go bad, wouldn't I get an FI Light (code 11 or 32)? I'm going to be pissed off if my throttlebodies have to be replaced. It's looking like I'm going to HAVE to take it to the stealership because I cannot figure out the problem even with the service manual. Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The TPS sensor may have gone bad. Did you try openning the gas cap to see if it made a difference? Also, the rust could be clogging your fuel pump and you may need a new pump. Try RXP in your tank.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also try disconnecting the hoses at the rear of the tank and ride it disconnected. Check you battery terminals and make sure they are clean & tight. Check the harness grounds at the frame to engine and top of the valve cover too.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

wow props to everyone for the input, damn u guys are goodany news on what it was AZ)636?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 AM

Well I got me a copy of the service manual and checked everything. It wasn't any sensors or electrical so that was ruled out. I ensured ALL the vacuum lines were routed correctly. I wasn't getting in FI lights so there were no codes. To make a long story short, my fuel pump was SEVERLY CLOGGED with rust deposits at the pump pick up at the bottom of the tank. It was so thick that it was almost like mud! It looked like red clay! The first time I took it out and cleaned it was a half *** job so tonight I COMPLETELY disassembled it and cleaned it out. I ordered a new pump and tomorrow I'm going to solve the rust problem in my tank to ensure this never happens again! BTW, I just bought the bike like 2 weeks ago for 1500 buck! The guy could not figure out what was wrong with it, so I got a STEAL! It's obvious now that he did't properly winterize it before he let it sit in his garage for like 6 months. I'm going to make a DIY yourself tutorial on how to take your fuel pump out, disassemble it and clean the **** out of it. I'll let you know once I post it. It'll probably be a couple of days.