another bike wont start thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default another bike wont start thread

so for the last month or so i have noticed that when i turn off the there is a noticable electric whining sound coming frokm around the area underneath the gas tank sometimes this noise will occur for a minute or sometimes the bike has been off for up to 10-15 minutes. yesterday i moved my bike out of the garage and heard the noise again for a few seconds and when i tried to start the bike it wouldnt start. the fuel pump primes when i turn the key and it tries to turn over but when i press the start button but it doesnt work. i have lifted up the tank and everything looks good, no pinched hoses oranything, anyone have an idea of what's wrong?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: another bike wont start thread

Make sure there is no water in the gas.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alexanderm
the fuel pump primes when i turn the key and it tries to turn over but when i press the start button but it doesnt work.
So does the starter actually engage when you hit the button or does it make a clicking noise?

Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

the starter engages because it makes the winding sound when i press the button it just never fires up. as for the first post how do i check if there is water in the fuel?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

There is really only one way to do it and that is to empty the tank. Are you sure it is an electrical whine and not the tank trying to equalize? It will make a hi pitch sound. I had this issue with my 06 zx6r. Ended up having 2 quarts of water in the tank and I had to replace all the spark plugs. On the left side of your bike down by the rear set there is a little bottle. See if there is any condisation in it. It is right after the fairing in front of your shifter.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

It probably sounds like I am beating a dead horse here but when you press the starter button does the starter actually engage and turn the engine? Can you actually feel exhuast pulses coming from the muffler. I am thinking maybe the battery does not have enough juice to engage the starter or the starter is just not engaging. Maybe the winding noise was just the starter engaging on its own.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

there is no condensation in the little bottle, as far as pressing the starter i don't think there is anything coming out the pipe or anything, i'm taking it to the shop today and i'll keep you updated.