General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bike wont start no power

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:17 AM
Default bike wont start no power

hi i have an 05 zx6r and the bike was making a like zaping noise sounding like it was coming from the battery and the guage and all the lights came on before so i thought the battery was just dead well we were trying to jump the batter and one of the ends slipped off the car end and hit a bolt and sparked everywhere...after that the bike had a total loss of power. when i turned the key i couldnt get any lights from the guage or anything. i checked the fuses in under the back seat and didnt see anything wrong...anyone have any ideas???

Old 03-27-2006, 02:35 AM
Default RE: bike wont start no power

u heard the sparking before u jumped the bike right? was it zapping while u were try'n to start it or when u just turned the key on? What have u done to your bike as far as mods? Did u have your seat or tank off?

Question for someone who knows, are u able to jump a bike battery with a car battery? I thought there was a diff in type of battery and the amperage? Im kinda asking for myself on this one [8D]

Old 03-27-2006, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

this is why jumping is so dangerous. I just hope It didn't fry the ecu, check the fuse box.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:24 AM
1st Gear Member

your not supposed to jump a bike....supposed to pull it out and charge it....well atleast the FI type. The FI have too many electronics and it wont have enough power to keep going. Also cant push start it.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

i heard that, when you use a car battery to jump start a bike you could damage something on the bike... like the computer.... g-rice your right the amperage is too much for the bike.... so you may want to take it back to the dealership and have them check it out... but don't tell them that you jumped started the bike with a car.... that's if it's stil under warranty.... good luck....

Old 03-27-2006, 08:48 AM

im with mad on taking it to the dealership....and like he said dont mention anything about you jump starting it with a car.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member

I concur with mad also

Old 03-27-2006, 08:25 PM

yea i plan on taking it to the dealership. i just bought the bike brand new in november so0o0....some of my buddys who ride mentioned the main fuse.. the bike made a like zapping noise when i tried starting it before which made me think that the battery was dead. nothing smoked or anything just the sparkes from the car and then i just tried to start the bike and when i turned the key on there was nothing so i figured that i shorted something out. i checked the ecu fuse under the passagner seat and all those little fuses were ok so i hoping its just the main fuse and not the ecu so my warrany covers it.. the bike is totally stock i have nothing done to it as of yet.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:23 PM

You can jump a bike with a car battery. BUT, the car has to be OFF! as long as both batteries are 12 volt, it's fine.
Its the charging system on the car that pushes too much amperage through the bike, frying all the electronics.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you check the main fuze on the left side at the base of the tank???

Quick Reply: bike wont start no power