04 ZXR won't start. Should be so simple!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 04:23 PM
Default 04 ZXR won't start. Should be so simple!

Hello and thanks for taking a minute to possibly lend a hand!

The story is simple. Rode it to school a year ago, went to leave and wouldn't start. Nothing was making any noises or acting funny up to that point. It will click as if the starter is trying, but nothing else.

Here is why I say it should be simple. What I'm really hoping is that you can help me identify what this particular sound was. When you put the key in and turn to accessory you would ALWAYS hear the clicking sort of grind sound and your odometer went up and down and you would also hear a mechanical whirring. A sound that specifically sounded like a vale, a pump, *something* was happening. That sounds is not there anymore! I'm not a motorcycle doctor but my bike no longer turns over ever since that sound ceased to exist. I think it's fair to say this is where I need to start looking, only I don't know what that sound was!

So far I've poked around with a meter and if I recall correctly I was able clear all fuses, and I believe I was able to find the fuel pump and meter that as well which was good. If I take the take off and hook it up I can get the pump in there to send fuel.

If we have any ideas as to what that second sound I typically hear controls or interfaces with I'd be happy to explore them. I don't think there is much sense tearing too far into it until I can at least get whatever that function was back.

Thanks again! Happy riding!

Old 03-14-2021, 03:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF

Check your battery. I should say to replace your 2004 battery.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:52 PM

Hello and thanks!

I should amend this post.

The battery is indeed junk which I expected. It's been sitting a while and a battery tender only can do so much. Certainly not a 2004 though! I'm using my car in a pinch. I didn't wanna spend much of anything until I see at least some light at the end of the tunnel. I will be getting another battery shortly. On that note, I swear I have to replace it every 2 years at the most. Is that normal?

I have found the pump is not priming at all and I'm 99% sure this is my problem. This is definitely the sound I'm no longer hearing. When I remove the tank I can run 12v to the pump and it goes strong. When I meter the connection on the bike I believe I was getting in the 9v range. I don't actually recall it being a full 11-12v.

So I have a pump that works, I have a connection to it that is getting *some* voltage, and a bike trying to turn over... There is no pump prime I'm hearing at all when I turn the key. I did swap plugs as well. I realized I never confirmed a spark I can check that. There was some oil on my old plugs but I'm afraid we're getting deeper into the engine than I'm comfortable.

I'm just not entirely sure where to go from here. I would always hear that sound. Same sound in all the videos I watch. I know the pump is good. Can a relay degrade and send less voltage than it should or are they pretty binary?

Thanks for any ideas you can offer!!

Old 03-16-2021, 01:07 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by acopp11
Hello and thanks!

I should amend this post.

The battery is indeed junk which I expected. It's been sitting a while and a battery tender only can do so much. Certainly not a 2004 though! I'm using my car in a pinch. I didn't wanna spend much of anything until I see at least some light at the end of the tunnel. I will be getting another battery shortly. On that note, I swear I have to replace it every 2 years at the most. Is that normal?

I have found the pump is not priming at all and I'm 99% sure this is my problem. This is definitely the sound I'm no longer hearing. When I remove the tank I can run 12v to the pump and it goes strong. When I meter the connection on the bike I believe I was getting in the 9v range. I don't actually recall it being a full 11-12v.

So I have a pump that works, I have a connection to it that is getting *some* voltage, and a bike trying to turn over... There is no pump prime I'm hearing at all when I turn the key. I did swap plugs as well. I realized I never confirmed a spark I can check that. There was some oil on my old plugs but I'm afraid we're getting deeper into the engine than I'm comfortable.

I'm just not entirely sure where to go from here. I would always hear that sound. Same sound in all the videos I watch. I know the pump is good. Can a relay degrade and send less voltage than it should or are they pretty binary?

Thanks for any ideas you can offer!!
"Can a relay degrade and send less voltage than it should or are they pretty binary?"

A voltage drop is a voltage drop. Relays and battery's are a big issue. You know how to use a meter, you have proven a lot of things so far. Stay with the basics.