too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Default too much oil

ive searched around the forums for a while now and cant seem to find a definate answer, what happens if the sight glass is completely full and i ride around like that? any serious damage? any answer is appreciated.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: too much oil

Think of your engine as a pressure vessel. Too much liquid in that engine and soft seals go out. Let alone losses in performance. I am sure you can push the sight glass window levels, but too much above that andI would be draining some.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: too much oil

Dragone is entirely right. Too much oil is probably the quickest and most certain way to destroy, ruin and torture your engine.
I would rather drink my own urine for a week than overfill my crankcase. I'm not being flippant, I really would.

Don't even start the bike again until you've drained some of the oil out of it and gotten the level within the upper and lower marks.
Riding the bike with too much oil will damage the rings that seal your chambers, and it will ruin your compression. So at first you'll just lose power, but then the bike will start burning oil, then you'll get the burnt-oil carbon build-up in your chambers which will foul your plugs, cause your exhaust to get smokey, and further ruin the seal between your piston rings and cylinder walls in an avalanching effect until the bike will simply die one day.

My fingers tremble as I type this question: "How long have you been riding it overfilled like this?"
-Chris in Carlsbad

Old 03-08-2009, 05:08 AM

I'm in the same position right now. New rider with a full glass. The mechanic i took it to for the oil change filled it up about 2 weeks ago, maybe 80-90 miles. It started to loose power but i have not seen or smelled burning oil yet. I started to get concerned about that and then noticed the oil was high. I fixed the level but i am unsure whether any permanent damage has been done. Does anyone know if the bike will run normally after reducing the oil level at this point?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, not exactly sure if you have no visable leakage (you could do your maintenance schedule earlier as in compression checks, leak down check, valve adjustments, etc). Check your air filter and clean out the box. Check the plugs. Congrats on finding this issue, but just a reminder to always check your bike before riding off into the sunset. Chain, tires, fittings, OIL level, brake fluid, etc. The basic preliminary checks is all. And I would fire that "Mechanic"

Welcome to KF