put a little too much oil in the base... what should i do

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Question put a little too much oil in the base... what should i do

i changed my oil today and when i filled the bike back up i filled it to the full mark started it and let it run for a bit and it was fine then i turned it off and it was a bit low probobly beacuse it had to fill the oil filter so i put somemore oil into it and i think i put a little too much cus in the glass the oil is above the high mark... then i started it up and it would spit out blue smoke if you cracked on the gas, for about 3 mins untill it warmed up now it is doing this every time i start it and its cold untill it warms up then its fine it never did this before only started after i put a lil bit too much oil in is this something to worry about or is i it just blowing off the extra oil i put in?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I would drain a little below the top of the sight glass, you should be fine.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and remember when filling the bike up with oil, you need to check the sight glass when the bike is standing straight up, otherwise if its on the kickstand then when the bike comes back up it will be too full.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

yah haha thats the mistake i made, and i make it time and time again lol live and learn i guess... hopefully its nothing serious thanks deej

Old 04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad I don't make mistakes like that... Oh wait never mind, I suppose you read my brake bleed fail thread.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't drain all the oil. Take out the drain plug for about 2 seconds then put it back in. Your gonna make a mess and probably let out too much but that's ok cause you can top it off to the correct level after you clean up.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

When doing oil changes, I just add the 1.5qts and not worry about oil level.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
1st Gear Member

alright thanks guys im gonna drain it and put in the right ammount, hopefully ill have no trouble after that... if i do i could have some bigger problems on hand, the bikes was stored all winter and was only started once ever 2 weeks or so and let run for about 5 or 10 mins... if this problem persists whats my best bet? im thinking either stuck rings dried up oil seal or valve seal or the fact that i have done the crank breather mod and the engine is shooting a bit of oil up into the airbox and burning it from there... untill the bike warms up and can pump the oil around the engine more... if it were a stuck ring thogh id think it wold happen all the time not only for the first 5 mins while its warming up...

Old 04-15-2009, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Your thinkin too much. Just drain out some of the oil then go from there. My bet is once you go out and do a nice long ride you'll burn off all that **** and the bike will be fine.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

hey guys i just drained off the oil this morning and let the bike cool down then started it back up and she is perfict not a stain of blue smoke to be seen... i was just getting a little parinoid i guess... thanks again guys

i drained off about 300 to 400 ml i was suprised that suck a small ammount extra would cause that much blue smoke...

Quick Reply: put a little too much oil in the base... what should i do