how do you slow down while on a turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default how do you slow down while on a turn?

I was on a 50mph turn today doing 90 and i see up ahead (about 7 seconds away) the cars are slowing down to a stop.

I remember from msf they said you either apply some of the brakes on the turn /or straighten the bike and brake hard. Previously I had to straighten the bike and brake hard because I entered a 10mph turn too fast.

Anyway, I'm finding the 500 to have a very soft front shocks. Just letting go of the throttle lunges you forward, worse when applying the front brakes.

With that in mind, I let off on the throttle to slow down, but what the heck, its not slowing down (as I think back now, I was on a downward slope). Then I think the road turned into an upward slope (slowed me down some) and into a straight, whew!

It was pretty scary when I was expecting to slow down but instead seemed to accelerate.

Back to the question, I think its obvious now, the only way to slow down is using the brakes. Or am I wrong?

Old 09-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Default RE: how do you slow down while on a turn?

Well, sometimes even when turning, breaking is required.

Another option, depending on the situation, you could also use the old downshift method as well...

Or better yet, ride slower unless you know it is clear in a corner! ;-)

Safe riding!

kev

Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

the only way to slow down is using the brakes. Or am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. There are at least three acceptable ways to slow down, and a fourth way which is neither desirable nor acceptable.)
When you approach a corner (before you're actually cornering):
~Apply both brakes
~Stop twisting the throttle, which provides engine braking
~Sit up straight. If you've ever watched MotoGP or WSB, you see these professional riders sitting up very suddenly before turns. The reason they do this is because they're using aerodynamics to their advantage.

The fourth way is crashing, and it is very effective, but not as effective or fun as the previous three modes of velocity control.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

from my MSC.... break before you enter the corner.... if you need to break while already there, as you mentioned straighted up your bike and break hard..... other than that the tires my give way and you'll be on the ground..... i have paid for that one dearly on my dirt bike, well at least it was off the road and no cars ran over me!!!

taking it easy sound good in the beggining.... and with time I hope to get it all down as well.....

edit: well not the bike - LOL

Old 09-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: galen31075

I was on a 50mph turn today doing 90 and i see up ahead (about 7 seconds away) the cars are slowing down to a stop.

I remember from msf they said you either apply some of the brakes on the turn /or straighten the bike and brake hard. Previously I had to straighten the bike and brake hard because I entered a 10mph turn too fast.

Anyway, I'm finding the 500 to have a very soft front shocks. Just letting go of the throttle lunges you forward, worse when applying the front brakes.

With that in mind, I let off on the throttle to slow down, but what the heck, its not slowing down (as I think back now, I was on a downward slope). Then I think the road turned into an upward slope (slowed me down some) and into a straight, whew!

It was pretty scary when I was expecting to slow down but instead seemed to accelerate.

Back to the question, I think its obvious now, the only way to slow down is using the brakes. Or am I wrong?
You covered it perfectly; if you need to slow down quickly in a turn to avoid a hazard roll off throttle and the bike will start to stand up and go straighter then ease on the brakes this will fully straighten up your bike and it will now go in a straight line, apply brakes as hard as needed to safely stop. All this should happen in mere seconds or less.

Avoid down shifting whole in a corner it will drastically upset your suspension and my cause you to skid than you can brake all you want and all your going to do is slid into the hazard.

Someon said to slow down, I try not to speed into any blind corners you just never know. Better to slow down and then pick up speed so you can enjoy the next corner JMO.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:46 PM

jump on the brakes and hope GOD is on your side weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 10-10-2006, 07:36 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: galen31075

7 seconds is a reasonable amount of time with a little more time in the saddle. You did not lose your head, which is way cool.

I realize that the 500 does not have too much in engine braking but your comment of "Just letting go of the throttle lunges you forward, worse when applying the front brakes." has me thinking.

As mentioned above, you can trail the front brakes and still keep a line. A hard pull will stand ya upright. Everything else in consideration here, ie tires, suspension, etc, but braking hard on the front will make the ride stand up ( well a nice low side otherwise)

Upshifting in mid corner is less unsettling to the suspension while you're on the brakes but you will still run wide. So your trust in your setup is important either way.

As learned, I use both front and rear braking before entrances.

Good job in you keeping your head!