Christmas Present!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Christmas Present!

Congrats on the bike, I'm just gonna reiterate what everyone else said: Watch out for cars! You will probably realize how stupid people in cars can be the first time you get out on the road.

As for the braking issue, I've always tended towards the rear brake. I think it's because I grew up on dirtbikes, never using the front for fear of locking it up either flipping or sliding to a fall in loose dirt. I never lock up my back brake and when I do need to stop quickly, I naturally use both at the same time. But I never rely on the front brake alone.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

congrats on the bike

+1 on the watch out for dumb@sses on the road

i guess the best advice u can get is....ride in ur own comfort zone! dont let anyone sway what they think u should b able to achieve...biking is b/w a man/woman and his/her bike ....no one else is controllin that bike besides you so dont let ppl encourage u to do something u dont feel comfortable doin [8D]

and please ...just becareful and mind the traffic ...since they wont bother w/ minding you

Old 12-14-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shox rox ice

If you tip your bike over on the left, the handle bar-ends will probably get scraped up. If you drop it on the right, it's the other handlebar and the rear brake lever, so try not to tip it over but don't get too pissed if it happens. Try not to park or slow down too much on steep inclines or declines a.k.a steep driveways.
also, if you're lucky, your turn signal will punch a really nice hole in the fairing. good stuff right there lol. you can reduce this risk by putting some flushmounts on the front.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 AM

Well, I've finished the MSF Course. It was great, and I feel like I've learned a lot! I was the only person in the class of 12 that got 100% on both the riding and written exams

Of course, I was also the only person ever at that location to pull 4 wheelies without getting in trouble (half-broken clutch on a dirtbike with a TIGHT throttle... grr....)

ORIGINAL: shox rox ice
I made a pact with myself that the first month I was riding it that I wouldn't take the expressway (70mph) and I wouldn't ride anyone on the back.

Have fun, wear a helmet at minimum. Gloves are a +. A Jacket, Pants and Boots are ideal, but sometimes it's nice to ride in Jeans and a T-shirt... just wear appropriate stuff for where you'll be riding. High traffic = high gear. Low traffic, low(er) gear.
I made that pact as well, though I think I'll stay off for two months. Drivers in Orlando are a-holes on I-4. I also made a promise to my wife that I will always wear my helmet, jacket, boots, pants, and gloves when I ride.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

When I started riding, I took to heart what everyone here is saying about acting as though you're invisible. It's saved my tookus several times. I literally act like the lady on the side road to my right with her left blinker on who just LOOKED RIGHT AT ME (I mean we made eye contact, if I were hard up I might even have thought it was a "moment") didn't see me at all, and sure enough, there she goes pulling right out in front of me. Whenever I get into a situation that tickles my sixth sense (you'll soon find out it goes off frequently; I like to think of it as "spidey sense") I'm always looking for outs, or exit strategies, if the idiot on my left decides to change lanes without signaling. It pays to be paranoid I've found.

Don't forget to put your kickstand down first thing after you stop where you're planning to park. Not too many things are more embarrasing than getting off your bike in a crowded parking lot and having your bike keep going all the way down to the pavement.

Oh, and Chris I used to wholeheartedly adhere to your "no kids" philosophy in dating, but I've met a 33 year old smoking hottie (who happens to be a civil engineering major (sorry to brag)) with teenage kids, so I don't have the worry of them asking if I'm their daddy. Yes she was very young when she started, but she's got a good head on her shoulders now. I'm just saying, never say never, cuz you never know what possibilities you're eliminating. Keep the faith.