Need some advice please. Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Default Need some advice please. Newbie Question

I guess you could call me a “wanna be” motorcycle rider. I recently purchased a 50cc moped due to gas prices and the “fun factor.” Naturally, (just like every other guy), the second I get a new toy I am already thinking about getting a bigger and better version. So to make a long story short…I am thinking about diving into the motorcycle market. Gas mileage is number one for me but I need more power than a 50cc which is why I am starting to look at the Ninja 250R. My question has to do with the manual transmission and shifting. It has been a long time since I last tried to shift and drive a motorcycle with a clutch. My early stints were very short as I couldn’t get the hang of it and thus gave up. Now, many years later I very comfortable with a manual trans in a car as my own car is a stick. Will driving a manual trans in a car translate to being able to shift a motorcycle? I plan on taking a motorcycle safety course and I don’t want to be the idiot that holds up the class because he cant shift. I am hoping that a clutch is a clutch and I will easily make the transition from car to bike. What are your thought?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Need some advice please. Newbie Question

well when i first started out on motorcycles i had no clutch or shifting experience at all, now i ride the bike everyday when its not raining, if u already got the hang of the clutch on a car, i dont see why u would have any problem with the bike..

Old 08-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome. Buy the KLX 250 S and learn in the dirt before you hit the blacktop. The dirt is a lot softer.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

take the MSF course .........it'll help A LOT !!!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1 to the MSF course.
ORIGINAL: mikeyntnc

take the MSF course .........it'll help A LOT !!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am hoping that a clutch is a clutch and I will easily make the transition from car to bike. What are your thought?
A clutch is a clutch, but you also forgot body coordination on being a factor. ie. eye, hand, foot, posture, and comfort level. As mentioned, taking a good training school (MSF or a qualified track school) is very beneficial. Playing in the dirt is a start for some to feel comfy, but then additional education is still nice to have.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

If you can drive a car with a manual, a motocycle is almost the same aside from getting used tothe hand/foot switch for your controls. Before you actually try to ride amotorcycle, just act out the controls. (You can even make the engine noises with your mouth if you want.) J/K.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

By driving a manual car and having a general understanding of how a transmission works makes you most prepared for shifting on a bike, you should already know to ease the clutch out and ease the accelerator at the same time. After a few runs around the block you'll be very comfortable with the 250 shifting wise. The first three or so training excersizes in your class will be to get used to the clutch and you simply can't hold anyone up, you'll all have your own line to ride on.