First Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default First Mistake

Well I dropped my bike once already. Was tryin to pull out of my park and must have been in second gear because I stalled. Stupidly I put my feet up as I started to go instead of leaving them down until I got more speed up [:@]. So I try to put my feet down fast and manage to get them down but my left foot hit some gravel and it started to slip. The bike didnt drop fast, real slow but I couldnt stop it from falling and it hit the ground and I picked if back up right away. There is a scrape on the mirror, one on the end of the handle bar and a small peice of rubber missing from the shifter. Other then that its fine, I consider myself and my bike lucky to get away with that much damage. But other then that its been awsome, I now have about 225 miles on it. I mistakingly pulled the front wheel of the ground a little but cause I was tryin to shift real fast and it didnt even go about liek 6300rpm and I guess I let the clutch out way to fast and man it was scary and sweet at the same time, lol. Took it through some curvy roads the other day and man was it fun. Although it seems that most of the time I let the clutch out to fast, like kinda poping it instead of doing it slow. Especially when I have to get up to speed fast. Do you all think this will hurt it?? I was thinkin that it might but then agian it is a sport bike so isnt it made to be shifted like that? Thanks for any help. I am tryin to post pictures right now but it says it was too big so mabye Ill try posting it and not embedding it in the post. Peace out.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First Mistake

You'll be a pro in no time!

Don't worry about shifting without using the clutch. You WILL not hurt your transmission doing it. A lot of people do that, but there is a form to it. You can do a search here, there are several posts about it.

Make sure to have fun, and wear all your gear!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:14 AM

it happens man the main thing is that your alright plus at least you did it on a light bike

Old 10-13-2006, 05:15 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much, we all make mistakes and learn from them! Just this Tuesday, I was parking my bike, and I put the kickstand down. As I let it lay to the left, it kept going down, and almost fell! Somehow, the kickstand didn't go all the way down, and retracted without me knowing it. So I learned to make damn sure it's down before I try and rest the bike on it! But like skoalman said, at least it was a light bike. If that was my Dad's VTX 1800, I doubt I would have been able to pull it back up!

Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 AM

We all make mistakes, just learn , and you will get better everytime.

Tim

Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Yup

Yeah thanks guys for your comments and advice. Have not been on here for a bit because I have been helping my dad do some work on the house. Nothing bad has happened since dropping it (knock on wood) and I always keep my feet down unless Iam goin at least like 10mph or Iam sure the clutch is all the way out and Iam in the right gear. Tommorow and Tuesday are supposed to be nice!! I cant wait to go riding agian. So far I have ridden when it was like 49 or 50 degress and with like 15-25 or so mph winds and was ok. Just put layers on, lol. I figure I have to get used to the wind sometime ya know so I went riding. I have found I just have to lean the opposite way the wind comes from and Iam cool. Got about 480 miles on it now. Iam tryin to concentrate on NOT shifting gears in a turn, it seems like its very easy to do and I know it upsets the balance of the bike so I need to stop. Also am tryin to make sure when I downshift I let the clutch out easy so as not to cause skid. Be easy and be safe everyone! Later

Old 11-05-2006, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Yup

At least it wasn't like me, first day I had my bike I was cruising around the parking lot getting used to it, going bout 20 and I went for the front brake but my gloves are so grippy that it kept the throttle open. In turn I lost the front end and dumped the bike before I hit a curb. Yay.

P.S.: bike's fine, works great still.