Brake troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Brake troubles

I just put on the EBC brake pads and put it some new brake fluid but the lever still feels a little squishy and the brakes aren't working nearly as hard as they should be. I'm going to bleed it again tomorrow to see if there's any bubbles, but when I did it earlier I got nothing. Why is my brake lever still squishy and why won't my new pad's work properly??? [:@]

Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Brake troubles

did you let the pads break in first?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

not too much, i've only gone for a ride or two since I got them on but didn't use the front too much anyways. is there a proper break in for them?

either way, the lever still feels squishy

Old 11-15-2006, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Please explain step-by-step what you did?

When you compressed the caliper piston, how did you get rid of the extra displaced fluid? Did you drain it all out and put new fluid in it?

Sometimes, you have to tap on the caliper with a wrench while bleeding the brakes to get some of the air bubbles out. Or another way is to remove the caliper completely, stick something flat between the pads, then bleed the brakes while holding bleeder screw straight up. It would be a pain in the a$$, but it would certainly get the air out.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I took off the caliper and pads and drained out the fluid. Then pushed back the pistons to fit in the new pads and bolted the caliper back onto the rotor. I bought a brake bleeding kit and pumped in the new fluid until all the bubbles were gone but it still felt squishy. So I looked in the manual about fluid replacing and it said to pull in the brake lever with the resivour filled and closed, then open the bleed valve with a hose connected. A little fluid would come out and then I closed it up and the manual says to quickly release the brake lever after closing. I did that a couple times and the lever stiffed a bit. I just went to check the lever again and it seems a little firmer after sitting around for a while, dunno why. But yeah, I'll bleed it again tomorrow to make sure I got no bubbles, but I'm definite that there is none.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

There must still be air somewhere in your lines, calipers, or master cylinder. sometimes it takes quite a few repetitions before it all comes out. Use a clear vinyl tube to connect to the bleeder screw. That way you SEE when a solid stream of fluid starts coming out.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Alright I think it's all good. I just went for a night ride and tested the brakes. 25mph-15 brake tests over and over and it REALLY helped. I think they may need a little more oomph but they completely changed since the beginning of the ride. I'll tinker with it a bit but I just needed to break them in a bit

I still might bleed it out again to get out any extra bubbles but right now she's runnin good.