New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello all :), SOON to be NEW Rider.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Talking Hello all :), SOON to be NEW Rider.

Sooo, im 19 y/o, and have only ridden my buddies 1982 yamaha virago. My motorcycle safety class is scheduled for the 23-25 of October, and I want to purchase my first bike soon after that. I just finished reading all of the newbie threads, and am now 75% sure that I will get a 250, instead of a 600cc. I am however a tall person.. which makes me unsure by a bit.. im almost 6'4 now... little under haha, and not sure if a 250cc sports bike will be comfortable with my height... I am thinking of either a ninja 250, or 650. But yeah... I know the dangers of a 650, but the 250 does have some as well, and with me being a tall rider.. wind would be more of an issue than usual on a 250cc right? I also will be using this motorcycle to commute to college, which requires me to take the highway there, so I will be traveling at 65+ mph for 80% of the time while ridding this bike.

Thanks for your opinions and input, I know logically that im not ready to ride a 650cc all out or anything... but to throw in one of CDN's arguments for new riders wanting 600's, I would take it easy on the bike.. and develop my skills on it, even though it would be more challenging. I do logically consider myself a better driver than most.. even though 90% of people do.. I have avoided and predicted many accidents even though I have only been driving for 2 years. Maybe because people just get comfortable with driving since they do it for so long, that they become less cautious and less attentive is my guess.

Anyways im ranting... and everyone's different.. and you cant know someone unless you meet them, but I am a smart young adult, and maintain a 3.5+ GPA and am aware of my limitations and maturity.

TLDR;
Im new to riding, and have only ridden a few times on an older cruiser. But have my MSF course later this month.
Is someone 6'4 170lb on a ninja 250r feasible? (I have yet to sit on one)
I am thinking of getting a 250.. but still up for a 650.

Last edited by Digital; 10-09-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 PM

I would sugget the 500r for someone your size. Its got enough get up ad go to not be boring, and they are easy to resale. I have ridden a friends on a 300+ mile trip, mostly on the interstate, and overall I waspretty comfortable....didnt get tossed around much at all. Ride it a year (or however long you want) and then move up to the 600+. The 500 would be a nice middle of the road bike for ya. Insurance and parts are pretty cheap too...which is also nice. I went from a 250 Virago, to a 750 Nighthawk, to a CB1000, now on an 1100. Moved up as my ability increased. Ride what you feel comfortable on...move up when youre ready. You can always sell a smaller bike...there is a huge market for them,,both for those looking for high MPG commuters and for begginers.

Bein careful on a 600+ is fine, but a higher powered bike is a lot less forgiving of simple beginner mistakes than say a 250 or 500. There is a significant difference in the overall feel and power between the classes, at least in my opinion.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

The KLX is tall....hehehe

Welcome to the forums!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! I agree with a 500r or a ninja 650 or maybe even the versys. They dont make the 500 anymore but probably can find a used one really cheap. good ole bikes. The ninja 650 is sweet lookin and more comfortable than a 600. I think you will get tired of the 250 real quick. I work at a kawi dealership and I've seen soo many people buy 250 ninjas and get rid of them within 6mo to a yr later cause they want some more power for commuting on the interstate. I've even seen people try and get more power out of the 250 by puttin full exhaust on them. Kind of pointless cause you could have used that money for somethin else on a bigger bike.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Digi, welcome! The "beginner bike" thread is as diverse and opinionated as the "motor oil" thread. My two cents? There are a LOT of 3-5 year old bikes in the 500-750cc range out there which can be had for realistic money. I would get something with enough power to get you OUT of bad situations in a hurry, but not so much power to get you INTO bad situations because of it. I think you need to decide what you can handle; not us. At this point in your moto-life, you need saddle time and lots of it. The MSF is a great start. Let us know what you get. We're here to help.
Welcome again. Make sure you get good gear to go with the bike. NEVER ride without your helmet. Stay safe.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF,

Continue to view your abilities and always improve on them. As mentioned, everyone will have their own opinion on what they think is the best choice, but also as mentioned, it is in your best interests to pick your own after gleaning everyone elses opinion.

The 80% highway puts the 250cc as an under dog for any kind of long distance. Stay in tune with some of the late 80's bikes. Some semi sporting tours. Your taller frame may prefer that setup as well for a reasonable price tag.

I rock my "wifes" ex500 most of the time with good hwy speeds and easy handling. I have not tried out the 650 rides. Have even tracked it and had a nice weekend. Your handicap of being tall may not do well on the 500 though.

Good luck on the choices, the GS550 zuki is also out there for a good ride.