New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hello all! New bike and new to the forums!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Default Hello all! New bike and new to the forums!

Well let me start by introducing myself. I'm Kevin, I live in Provo, UT and I just bought my first bike. I picked up a 2005 636. Fell in love with it in 2005 and am still in love now that I have one of my own! I actually picked the bike up last night and took it for a cruise. Wow! Completely different than a car, to say the least.

I'm a bit embarassed, but I know it's just a part of learning. Anyway, last night was warm and dry here, so I picked everything up pretty easily. Definitely humbled me a bit as I kinda wobbled in the parking lot. Anyway, I did a good amount of riding on roads last night so I felt good, not super confident, but good for only riding for 1 day. Today I decided to ride to my local bike shop to pick up a couple accessories for my bike and what not, and on the way there it started to rain. I remember to slow down and increase my braking distances and what not. Made it to the shop and got my things, and then leaving the shop, maybe I was nervous, or I hit some oil or leaves, but the rear end whipped out and I laid my bike down. Definitely didn't make me happy for only having this two days. Anyway, I got the bike up and made it home, very shaken, but I made it.

Took a look at the bike, and surprisingly there are only scuffs on the signals, and a cracked right lower fairing, but I broke the rear brake 'arm.' I really expected the bike to be more stout, or maybe I did hit the ground hard, but the bike took it well. I dunno, but I do have some bad road rash on my hip though. Through the jeans. I've searched different terms, because I know how annoying it can be to have newbs ask the same questions, but maybe because I'm still so unfamiliar with bikes, I didn't use the right terms.

Is this expensive to replace? I did see that maybe this part is just weak on all 636's because lots of people upgrade their 'rear set' for that reason? I plan on doing all work on the bike myself, but I'm a car guy, so all of this is really different to me.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hello all! New bike and new to the forums!

hey man welcome to KF,, Sorry to here that but you will get better, **** happens and life goes on lol.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:00 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

HAHAHAHA, glad that I was not the only one to experience this. Welcome aboard

Old 06-06-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome spin out dude! Just kidding. Yeah the oile comes to the top when it rains especially at lights and stop signs where they sit and leak friggin oil.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF. I had some similar experiences with my first bike, 94 ZX-6 (wow, just realized how long ago that was.) I nearly laid it down in the rain on the way home from passing my road test! I barely cought it. I did lay it down about a year later being stupid in a parking lot. It didn't even go down hard, but it snapped off the rear brake. It's an easy fix, and pretty inexpensive. Good luck with furture experiences.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF