Young, Dumb, and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikeybb
Got it all apart and the throttle tube is thrashed. I'm gonna have to take a file to the end of the bars because the crashed moved a little metal around. Got a couple more questions to bounce off you guys? Do all motorcycles have two throttle cables? Also, are there any other bikes that the KLX is real similar to? I looked on a few sites for throttle tubes and they really didn't have much at all. Wondering if I can expand my search a bit... Also, I got the stock grip off the stock throttle tube fairly easily by pretty much giving it an "Indian Rug Burn". That broke the glue pretty well and then it was fairly easy to get the grip off of the throttle tube.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys,
Mike
They must have changed glue then lol... mine was bonded by the fires of hell.

Not all bikes have push cables (more typical in road bikes ?)... and you dont have to use your push cable if you dont want to. I got the oem grip just because its a safety feature and I figured its a good idea to have the push cable. All bar ends are 7/8 at the grips, if that helps. So maybe you could find a throttle tube to retro fit / trim, but the dimensions on the tube that mesh with the kill switch housing are what matters the most.

Edit:

Your also going to want to seriously consider some closed metal hand guards, even if you don't change the bars right away. They are seriously cheap compared to all the added features and potentials they give the bike... such as integrated turn signals later on, spoilers, safety from branches, and just the fact you know your controls are protected. I know your break lever fared pretty well and you just have to replace the lever this time... imagine the cost if you had split the master cylinder or something though.

Last edited by LikesToThump; 01-29-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF OEM Handlebar | MotoSport

Is this what you are looking for?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
Not all bikes have push cables (more typical in road bikes ?)... and you dont have to use your push cable if you dont want to. I got the oem grip just because its a safety feature and I figured its a good idea to have the push cable. All bar ends are 7/8 at the grips, if that helps.

Edit:

Your also going to want to seriously consider some closed metal hand guards, even if you don't change the bars right away.
Thanks for the info there, I'll be ordering barkbusters with my throttle tube. Haven't decided if I want to get some bars. Got any recommendations for some pretty bulletproof bars? And I think I'll be looking for a push-pull throttle tube but if I can't find one that I like, i'll get a pull one and mod it to accept my push as well (I think I'll be able to pull it off, so don't rain on my parade, lol).

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF OEM Handlebar | MotoSport

Is this what you are looking for?
Not really, but it's very useful. I'm gonna bookmark that so I can always look up part numbers.

Thanks all,
Mike

Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey SlapMatt. Your fiance dropped your bike 4 times! And I assume she still is your fiance? Good for you. For a marrige to succeed you have to marry someone you can put up with. Sounds like you're going to be together for a long, long time. I am green with envy.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

That happened to me when I tried taking the sf off roading ( I wouldnt recommend it, street tires dont like mud lol). I took it apart and figured out the rubber went in plastic and it shattered. Unfortunately, for some stupid reason kawi fused the grip and throttle tube together. Anywho, I used and exacto knife to slowly and painfully shave off the stock grip. Glued the pieces together (keeping as little from the inside as possible). After it dried, I used very fine sand paper to smooth out the throttle tube, slapped protaper pillow lite grips on, and havent had a problem since! Hope this helped

Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
Hey SlapMatt. Your fiance dropped your bike 4 times! And I assume she still is your fiance? Good for you. For a marrige to succeed you have to marry someone you can put up with. Sounds like you're going to be together for a long, long time. I am green with envy.
Yeah i told her its a dirt bike who gives a ****. happy wife happy life!!! She rammed a curb too haha. Its too tall for her. She passed her msf course with a perfect score. Keepig my eye out for a crf230l. I turned her onto dual sports when she sas on the back and i took a 2ft dirt ramp haha, we both came off the bike and landed softly(somewhat) its great

Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Did she take her msf course on your sf? Talk to Jon at Moto Pro. He lowered the forks and shock 2" on my 2012 250s. Much better!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
Did she take her msf course on your sf? Talk to Jon at Moto Pro. He lowered the forks and shock 2" on my 2012 250s. Much better!
Nah she took it on an old school kawasaki eliminator.

Heck no it's my bike, I wish it was taller haha! I'll have to find her an xt225, dr200, or crf230l for her to put around on

Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm installing new handlebars, grips and Barkbuster's today. I pull everything off, and when suffering though getting the OEM grips off the throttle tube I notice that the tube is almost completely shattered from one of many drops last summer.

This only solidifies the fact that barkbusters are a worthwhile investment!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be ordering parts hopefully tonight. Barkbusters VPS, throttle tube (haven't decided what I want there), new grips, and possibly a set of renthal bars! I'm excited.

Mike