Young, Dumb, and...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

DuncanBlake,
I'm amazed that I haven't scratched any plastics yet. I've had a flip over the handlebars with the bike doing a kinda half flip, that was on dirt. This one was on pavement and I ran my hand over the plastics and they felt smooth. No idea how though. Thanks for making me feel a little better also. I always feel like an idiot posting here when I wreck and don't know how to fix something or if there's cheap tricks to get it done cheaper. Also, how does that tube come off? Is it just glued or is there some sort of set screw...etc?

Thanks to everyone for the advice thus far,
Mike

Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Take the screws out of the ignition toggle frame it is mounted within

Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikeybb
Missed your post Matt. It's been misting/raining all day here and a little too much throttle and a DOT legal trials tire are apparently a real bad combo for that. So, I wound up on a sidewalk face down with scraped up knees, but none worse for the wear, and the bike wound up about 15 feet short of me. I was only going 15mph or so. The young and dumb rears its ugly head once in a while. Picked her up and had to turn her over a few times before the fuel got back to the carb and I was off, way more cautious. Somehow I came off on the high side, but the bike laid itself down on the lower side... Still a hair foggy, happened pretty quick. Still learning.

Mike
Glad you are ok, good job getting back on and riding, I only have 600miles under my belt and i haven't fallen yet thank goodness, installed handguards right away, fiance dumped my bike about 4 times. I can't find any scratches. I wish I could offer more advice for the throttle tube issues, but hey, excuse to get a new bar perhaps?

Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I didn't have many problems until I started thinking I knew a little something...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LikesToThump
Thank you, Thump.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikeybb
I didn't have many problems until I started thinking I knew a little something...
Me too ...Confidence welcomes contempt. Figuring that out really sucked, and it hurt.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Me too ...Confidence welcomes contempt. Figuring that out really sucked, and it hurt.
That's a cool name!!! I think we all like to thump

Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Lol, I think we all like to thump in different ways. Last night I apparently liked thumping my knees and noggin on concrete!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Also, I'm an idiot. I forgot that I downloaded the FSM last week. O boy...

Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Got it all apart and the throttle tube is thrashed. I'm gonna have to take a file to the end of the bars because the crashed moved a little metal around. Got a couple more questions to bounce off you guys? Do all motorcycles have two throttle cables? Also, are there any other bikes that the KLX is real similar to? I looked on a few sites for throttle tubes and they really didn't have much at all. Wondering if I can expand my search a bit... Also, I got the stock grip off the stock throttle tube fairly easily by pretty much giving it an "Indian Rug Burn". That broke the glue pretty well and then it was fairly easy to get the grip off of the throttle tube.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys,
Mike

Quick Reply: Young, Dumb, and...