You'll kill me for this....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
I don't ride mine off road, at least not in any grimy conditions. But it'd seem to be simple enough to fab something up to keep dirt from going down the spark plug access area and not have to worry about crap falling down in there whenever you pull the plug?

Even some sort of sponge material crammed around that long plug wire cap. Something that engine heat won't destroy.
At least in a garage/shop environment, you can start backing the plug out but only about half way or so. Then take high a high pressure compressed air nozzle and blow the crap out of the area all around the plug. I've never had anything fall into the plug hold using this method. I haven't had to change a plug in the field since the days I ran 2-strokes, so the compressed air method always works for me.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah and next time clean the area before you work on it, come on, that bike maintenance 101 man! LOL

Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Yeah and next time clean the area before you work on it, come on, that bike maintenance 101 man! LOL
Fair enough deej - lesson learned. I haven't been around here very long but I take it you're the bawse of one clean machine!

I like the idea of taking the plug halfway out and blasting the area while its dry. I think that would have saved me the stress.

I changed the oil/filter last night as well and saw nothing out of the ordinary... except my eternal battle fidgeting with the filter spring for 10 minutes.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

After a field plug change, where I was worried about what happened to you, I now carry a piece of clear hose to blow out the area.
As to the stupid filter spring...Open the end of the spring so it stays in place or put a bit of grease on the end and stick it to the filter and then put the filter in.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
After a field plug change, where I was worried about what happened to you, I now carry a piece of clear hose to blow out the area.
As to the stupid filter spring...Open the end of the spring so it stays in place or put a bit of grease on the end and stick it to the filter and then put the filter in.
Good stuff, thanks. I eventually used a glob of grease and a slightly more aggressive tilt to the bike.

Tubing is now included in my kit. I don't feel like spark plug changes are very common on these bikes - but I could be wrong. I'm used to frequent checks/changes with snowmobiles and thus far I've not had the inclination to check the plugs outside of yearly maintenance/winterizing. Maybe once I DJ I'll be checking for lean/rich characteristics...?

Last edited by Oreganic; 04-07-2014 at 02:52 AM.