Xmas vapor, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice info here (resetting ODO meter). Arrives just in time in my case

Old 03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Almost done. I did verify that the rotor bolt magnets sent by trailtech do NOT fit the 09+ bikes so you have to jb weld the magent to the rotor. Pretty lousy of trailtech. I hope the jbweld holds up.

The sensor will have to be mounted ot the plastic fork guard. Turns out that on the 09+ bikes Kawasaki decided to use a piece of plate metal for the caliper bracket and not the thick casting that the rest of the world uses. As such, mounting the sensor to the caliper bracket would cause the sensor to eat the rotor. So I think I'll use 2 rivets and the fork guard.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
Looks like Dan's method is the best.

For now, here is what I ended up doing: you will not see it very well in the pic below, but the sensor is mounted horizontally where the guard bolts. I verified before that the magnet is detected correctly in this configuration (the magned passes under the sensor, not close to its side). I had to drill a hole in the sensor tab for that. The guard is bolted on top of it.

I make a kink in the wire (not shown above) so that it is routed along the brake line, under the guard. The guard sits a little distanced from the fork due to that, but I don't expect any consequence.

I'll let you know if it works flawlessy at all speeds once it warms up here.
I never reported on if this configuration works fine or not. Better late than never: it's fine, it works good at all speeds and the sensor is well protected from branches or rocks so it will stay in place.

I admit that I had to make a kink in the cable, which TrailTech advise against. But if you go gently, I see no problem doing this. The kink is not so sharp as to risk breaking the wires in the cable.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

After losing one of the screws from the vapor that holds it on I have concluded that you need locktite on everything.

The vapor has been great. Love it.

I used a single pop rivet to attach the pickup sensor to the white plastic fork guard and that has been fine.