Xmas vapor, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Xmas vapor, which one?

So I have been missing out on enduros because the OEM odometer does not include an adjustable tripmeter. The vapor units are pretty cheap and also allow me to adjust the speedo/odometer to be accurate. I used a trailtech computer on my XR in enduros and it was great.

I want to replace the entire factory 2009+ dash with the vapor and the dashboard from trailtech. As much plug and play as possible. I emailed trailtech to help me select the proper vapor and the guy was an idiot. Didn't even know if the KLX was water cooled. He recommended the 75-200 as the "best fit" which is just a universal.

Maybe he is right, maybe not. What do those experienced with the vapor think? What model works the best?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll have to check when I get home, but I think I have the 75-300. From the site it lists a fit for the KLX250 04-13. I also have the dash unit.

YAMAHA - YZ/WR 125/250/450 05-13
SUZUKI - RM/RMZ 125/250/450 00-07
KAWASAKI - KX/KXF/KLX 125/250/450/500 04-13

Last edited by IDRIDR; 12-12-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Highbeam: Checking my notes at home now and yes, I did use the 75-300 and the Vapor Dash. Also put on the X2 halogen headlight at the same time. Deleted the key switch to fit the headlight and made a custom bracket to hold the Vapor good solid and tight behind the X2. It sits down a little low and isn't the easiest to see while riding, but has fair protection. I would like to build a custom aluminum dash to hold the Vapor and a few special switches (ignition, headlights, grip heaters, and a power outlet).

Old 12-12-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I haven't tried to remove the factory gauge cluster but I assume that there is one or more large plugs that I need to unhook. Then would I tape over that plug and use some sort of wire splice to get signals for the various vapor inputs? Not a big fan of hacking a wiring harness. I know how to get power, speedo, temp, and ground but rpm and the dash lights are a mystery to me.

Do you all recommend purchase direct from trailtech? They are a fairly local company to me in WA.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

You can pull the dash lights right out of your existing cluster and insert into the vapor...same size, fitting, everything. Just pull the whole rubber boot right out and push into the vapor!! That was cool. These work for neutral, high beam, high temp, and turn indicators.

There will be the stock cluster night back-lights that will go away. I think I had four of these.

You're left with a speedo connector (new - delete stock speedo cable, etc); temp sensor (if you're going to install one) and rpm (stock has brown, brn/yellow, and black wires which I think are the only wires that I needed to cut. I think I used the brown and brn/yellow and capped off the black. Oh, and the power connector which I pulled a new, dedicated positive and ground from the battery directly to the Vapor as recommended by many who said the Vapor may get picky using any fused or switched power.

You may need to press the "reset" button on the vapor to get the rpm to register. I think I did.

Pretty darn simple actually.

And this is all for the '06 bike. Can't say much about the '09+ cluster.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Wow!...I haven't looked at their site in awhile...a lot more choices than when I got mine. Frankly it's hard to tell what the subtle differences are on the water-cooled models. Prices don't seem to vary on most models. I guess the hardware mounting must be the main difference. Mine is several years old now but looks like the 200/300 units. Mine has been bulletproof once I learned to wire the main power feed straight from a direct battery connection hot wire...fused of course. Also, HB, don't follow the tachometer wiring option that utilizes the wrap around the spark plug wire. Just use the tach feed wire that's already in the KLX wiring harness. I think you'll love the Vapor.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the 2009 gauge cluster block and the idiot lights are part of the gauge cluster probably on some sort of printed board like a pickup truck.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the 2009 gauge cluster is a single board with lights integrated. There will be no unplugging the sockets. The OEM dash is fed by a single plug into the circuit board. Very expensive setup, will just unplug it carefully and store.

The plug from the wiring harness looks open and I'll need to take signals from a few of the wires there. I can see some time with a test light in my future.

The good news is that an entire new wiring harness is only 237$ so the worst case isn't horrible. Even a new headlight, the transformer looking 2009+ version, is cheap to replace if needed.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Why don't you just buy a bicycle speedo? That's what I did.

I had a vapor left from my previous bike and did not find any "user friendly" way to install it on my 09 KLX. The stock speedo is pretty complete as it is. If you jut need more accuracy, than I don't think the vapor is a good answer considering the cost in time and money to have it fit your bike.

Originally Posted by Highbeam
The vapor units are pretty cheap and also allow me to adjust the speedo/odometer to be accurate.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Mine has been bulletproof once I learned to wire the main power feed straight from a direct battery connection hot wire...fused of course.

Somewhere I recall reading where Vapor users were having problems with a direct fused line from the battery, and TT recommended using an unfused feed. I may put a fuse in mine sometime.

Quick Reply: Xmas vapor, which one?