Wheel Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wheel Wobble

I had a similar problem on mine..relaxing helped a bit on mine. But airing the tires down fromt he 35psi the dealer put them at helped more!!!!! That was a 40 miles ride home..man was that "interesting" with the wobble..lol........
I'm 155-165 lbs geared up if that makes any difference here. you might take a LITTLE preload out of the rear spring to let some more of the weight transfer to the rear effectively increasing the rake a bit and making it less prone to wobble...

Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

i have the same problem, ever since i bought
the bike, i'd also assume its the fender, i've had
bikes that went 70+ and they never "wobbled"...

however, my klx does, i bought it new, at 65 - 80 it
sometimes gets so bad i have to slow down to 60... steel
plates (ribbed ones on bridges) are a nightmare and scare
the hell out of me..lol..adrenalin push pure everytime

i'll try a different fender (UFO?) as i need one anyway
to mount my camera and i don't want to drill holes
in the stock fender

Old 06-27-2008, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Ever since I put the Dunlop 606 120 rear on, my little ride has been scary on the street. I've had front and rear wobble but, not both at the same time. After over 4K of miles (3700 on the stock rear), I've checked for a loose swing arm, sprocket, spokes, etc.

Crosswinds out here though are very nasty. I've had a solid 20MPH or so, and another 20MPH or so hit me and knock the bike over enough to cause me to veer significantly in my lane. The Dunlop really hops and wobbles on tar snakes, road cracks, goove surfaces, and the crown and depressions in the road.

I'm running 20PSI front and rear and it's smooth as can be on a nice road (fresh asphalt) and a windless day. Today, I couldn't get over 50MPH indicated (45MPH true) because of the head wind ... [:'(]

Old 06-27-2008, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member

more more
ORIGINAL: Sid Post
Today, I couldn't get over 50MPH indicated (45MPH true) because of the head wind ... [:'(]
331 kit will fix that [8D]

Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think a new fender will make a bit of difference unless it's very different from the stock version. The KLX just wobbles a bit at high speeds sometimes. It happened to me last night and a few times before. For me it always seems to occur at 65mph or higher and I've no clue about how to prevent it. It's manageable though.I attribute it to turbulence created by other cars around me on the highway. Cross breezes androad bumps and groovescan cause it as well. Those ridiculous stock mirrors can't help matters any they are like two sails at to top of the handlebars. Maybe some dual star mirrors will help I'm ordering some today. We should keep in mind that the bike wasn't designed with highway use in mind. Highways are doable but the KLX is out of its element there.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi...le_mirror4.htm

Mike

Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine used to wobble with the rear 603 and went away with the K270 rear. I still have the 603 front and get wobble only if I sit too far Forward. I rode into the City yesterday showing 70-75 mph the whole way and had no wobbles. It's definitely tire related.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

That sort of makes sense. I think the Dunlop 606 is a lot stiffer then the 603 it replaced. Perhaps since it doesn't have as much give it is "bouncing" more and causing the wobble.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Sid,

Did I read that right? You got 3700 from the stock rear? I've just under 1000 and won't be surprised if it's toast by 1500. I'm probably 75/25 street/dirt, running stock 21PSI. Have a feeling that the composition of asphalt used around here may play a part. Summer heat in Florida seems to lead to roads that are a have a little more grit and grain than more temparate climes.

Thinking about going to K270's when the 603's give it up. Anyone care to chime in about their wear charactistics?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xerxes

Sid,

Did I read that right? You got 3700 from the stock rear? I've just under 1000 and won't be surprised if it's toast by 1500. I'm probably 75/25 street/dirt, running stock 21PSI. Have a feeling that the composition of asphalt used around here may play a part. Summer heat in Florida seems to lead to roads that are a have a little more grit and grain than more temparate climes.

Thinking about going to K270's when the 603's give it up. Anyone care to chime in about their wear charactistics?
Got 1100 on my K270 rear and it looks new still. Only got 1500 from the OE 603(see Pic)

Old 06-28-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, one of my orginal posts. This brings back memories.

The solution to the problem I had orginally were the tires for the most part. It seems after I replaced the stock Dunlop 603 with Kenda K270, I didn't have the wheel wobble any more. Now the KLX will cruise just fine at 75mph as it would at 35mph. Everything else, I haven't changed, still stock settings.

Quick Reply: Wheel Wobble