Wheel Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Wheel Wobble

I guess I'll start by saying that I am new here, a lurker for a while. But I need some advice in wide range of this problem. I'm still very much inexperienced with riding the KLX 250s and got pretty dang scared when the fork started to wobble on my first ride up to 65mph. It started slow and progressively grew more. Accelorating helped stop it, but came back after resuming speed. I shifted my weight slightly forward, which only worsened. Shifted my weight back seemed to help until I could pull off on the next exit. Took a different route after that experience. The bike handles nicely on anything else at lower speeds.

I've been searching for tips on preventing, correct suspension setup, guides, tires, etc. To this problem. Any help will be useful.

bike info:
2006 KLX 250s (3rd owner, 1,900 miles) all stock
tire pressure front 22psi, rear 22psi

Old 05-13-2007, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wheel Wobble

it may be from the big front fender in a cross wind
does it to me everytime
get a supermoto fender

Old 05-13-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Low tire pressure can cause a wobble. Also, if your steering head is a bit loose the front end can "Hunt," and may even wobble under certain conditions. Are the wheels true? Lift the front end and roll the tire. If it wobbles there, it could induce a higher speed wobble too.

Good Luck,
Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 05-13-2007, 04:42 AM

Mine did that the other day on the hwy, I was doing about 75 and it started to wobble. I haven't figured out the problem I justassumed that it was my worn out tires or maybe one too many get-offs may have knocked something out of line. It didn't do it the last time I rode. I am going to get some more tires to see if it comes back, If not I won't worry about it.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on tire pressure. Check it for sure...sounds like a most likely culprit...

Ridden many times at 70+ mph and never experienced anything like that. Sounds familiar to one of the things they talked about in the moto safety class I took though - tire pressure or, was it grooved highway??

Old 05-13-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

You did not mention how many miles you have on the bike. Is this a new problem that was not there before? I just changed out my first set of tires on my bike and installed Rim Locks. Took it out for a trial run and I thought I was riding a cement mixer at 55 mph. I need to get the tires balanced.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I know the tire pressure is correct @ 22psi front & rear. It might be the fender, it does shake a lot on the road and may caused the wobble. Grooved highway? possiablity, as I said, I very much inexperienced. I may try another strech of a interstate to confrim.

I'm going to go through the owner's manual for steering manitence. Might also go a few clicks in for the fork compression. I've only driven the bike for around 30miles, the bike has 1,900 miles. I weigh 220lbs, 6'1". Tires are on the top of the list for to be replaced. Plan on getting Bridgestone Trail Wing 301 & 302.

I'll also check the front wheel for any wobble in tire/rim.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't recommend the Bridgestone TW-301 and TW-302.
They came stock on my Super Sherpa and they were really bad off road tires.
Fine on the street, but not good at all in the dirt.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

The TW's are also commonly called, "Death Wings." It might be worth a bit of shopping around.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

So the TW's are pretty much not a good choice. My riding will be mostly be 80on/20off road, or 60on/40off, depends onhowI feelthat week. My next choice would be the Kenda K270 3.00x21 & 4.00x18.

Update:
I checked some of the suspension settings. I found that the compression dampers were not even on the fork. Left side was 11 clicks out and Right side was 8 clicks out. I reset the dampers to 4 clicks out on both sides. Front tire/wheel are ture and straight. Sag was at about 117mm, so I need to probably preload the spring more. I left the rear compression/decompression only for the time being since its not causing any problems.

So would the fork comp dampers difference cause the wheel wobble at high speeds?

Quick Reply: Wheel Wobble