Whats the secret to starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Once a properly functioning CVK is set up correctly (hot idle speed and fuel screw setting) , any owner that still needs better frigid weather starting (and is capable of performing the work while avoiding the myriad mistakes that can be made), should certainly drill the starter jet.

Anyone attempting to drill their starter jet runs the risk of never being able to ride their bike again until they become CVK troubleshooting experts and fix the problem(s) they introduced while attempting the "drilling".. Even us "experts" will commit "stupid mistakes" every now an then, when doing a "carb session", that creates an unrideable bike..

Why risk it when all a peep has to do is set the "screws" correctly ?

Last edited by Klxster; 02-18-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Your turn TNC...

Drilled and thrilled. Done with a pin vise by hand, following D. Pippin's hop ups Only way to screw up is to use too big a drill or trying to use a power drill.

Of course screwing up the CVK would be a good excuse to get a real slide carburetor on it for some serious quick throttle response. Not for everyone, but heck, I used a quick throttle on my trials bike too.

Interesting thing I learned either here or at the ADVrider forum, the Chinese copy cat KLX uses a TM34 or 36 flat slide, no accelerator pump. They use a Chinese copy of the Kiehin PWK. I always wondered if they could be done that way and work. Heck a TM34 or 36 can be had easily for around $100! I should have taken the SR500 experience using the VM36 without any problems and tried it. Less fueling adjustments.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Your turn TNC...

Drilled and thrilled. Done with a pin vise by hand, following D. Pippin's hop ups Only way to screw up is to use too big a drill or trying to use a power drill.

Of course screwing up the CVK would be a good excuse to get a real slide carburetor on it for some serious quick throttle response. Not for everyone, but heck, I used a quick throttle on my trials bike too.

Interesting thing I learned either here or at the ADVrider forum, the Chinese copy cat KLX uses a TM34 or 36 flat slide, no accelerator pump. They use a Chinese copy of the Kiehin PWK. I always wondered if they could be done that way and work. Heck a TM34 or 36 can be had easily for around $100! I should have taken the SR500 experience using the VM36 without any problems and tried it. Less fueling adjustments.
It's interesting you mention the non-CV carbs without accel pumps. Over time, especially back in the late 70's and into the 80's, I tried some of the "hot" aftermarket carbs on some of the different 4-S dirt singles that I owned. The biggest challenge was off idle throttle response jetting. It was doable for sure, but frankly most of them never had as crisp and clean an off idle response as the stock carb whether it was CV or plain old slide/needle. 4-S singles do so much better with a CV or pumper carb for really good, clean off idle response.

Klxster, the only way to cause harm in the starter jet mod is to be that hammer-and-chisel guy who tunes carbs with a 24oz. ballpeen...LOL!...you know we've seen them...LOL!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
It's interesting you mention the non-CV carbs without accel pumps. Over time, especially back in the late 70's and into the 80's, I tried some of the "hot" aftermarket carbs on some of the different 4-S dirt singles that I owned. The biggest challenge was off idle throttle response jetting. It was doable for sure, but frankly most of them never had as crisp and clean an off idle response as the stock carb whether it was CV or plain old slide/needle. 4-S singles do so much better with a CV or pumper carb for really good, clean off idle response.
Yeah, the SR500 could stall if rpm wasn't up a bit, but it still makes me curious with the 250, especially since some are running the simple slide set up.

Of course, it's too late now, I have the 68 in the shed. I just need to get it done this spring/summer along with the 300 kit.