scotts steering damper installed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up scotts steering damper installed...

had a problem with the protaper s.e. bars after installing the scotts steering damper...the protaper crossbar sat way too low...didn't want to buy a new handlebar....this little crossbar is just too short (10.5") and solid to fit in any rod or pipe bender...solution?...took it to a metal fabricator for some custom bending by hand using hand tools...with just a printout using a computer of his plans as a guide...he did an awesome job....the protaper pads would no longer fit, so i just bought some black heater hose, cleaned it to a pure black, and covered the metal crossbar...looks quite awesome...

Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks good, take the bike out and run high speed in sand and let me know how the scotts works. Looking into one someday for those high speed sandy two tracks.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice.. sceptics scoff but they work.

Take it off when u sell and use it on another machine.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Those dampers really do work. The KLX isn't as bad as some bikes about needing one due to its geometry, weight, and layout, but it still makes a nice handling effect to the bike. I notice most guys with the KTM300 2-stroke, and some other bikes, almost require one for serious riding. Apparently the lighter and more powerful the bike, the bigger benefit the damper provides. I've never owned one, but I've ridden lots of friend's bikes out at our riding area that have them. I think they're most noticeable in rocky terrain.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh...I didn't realize this was for the street model. I don't know...it's your money and your bike, and you're certainly allowed to pursue whatever you want. Still, for pavement use, the SF doesn't seem like it would benefit that much. In the old days many of our street bikes had flexy frames and lots of power, and they truly benefited from steering dampers. My '72 Kawasaki H2 750cc triple 2-stroke almost required one. Many light, high powered, sportbikes today benefit from them for other reasons. I'm a believer in many high performance dirt bikes using them these days, but I think I'd spend my money elsewhere as it applies to an SF. Still, you can take the damper with you when you sell the bike, so it's not a loss in the end. No flame, just an observation.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Just curious, with my scotts installation the stabilizer is turned 180 degrees opposite of the way yours is mounted. The sales person at scotts asked if I wanted the sweep arm mounted opposite the way I received it, now I see what he meant. Did you need to bend your ignition key, looks like you don't have to. I have the arm puller so I could perform the same install as yours...rebend my keys back to normal. The crossbar just clears the stabilizer, scotts sells a special crossbar just for the same reason you have done on your bike.

Attached Thumbnails scotts steering damper installed...-copy-klx350s-019.jpg  

Last edited by RaceGass; 09-01-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the pics of your scotts stabilizer. Reinstalled mine the same way since the keys operation isn't hindered like in the forward position. Yeah the renthal crossbar does limit the adjustment **** but works perfectly in the range needed.

Were you required to clearance the top triple clamp for the bolt on post or did you go with the weld on post? Thanks

Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ordered the bolt-on kit specifically for the klx250sf from scotts...literally bolted on with no problems...

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Thanks for the pics of your scotts stabilizer. Reinstalled mine the same way since the keys operation isn't hindered like in the forward position. Yeah the renthal crossbar does limit the adjustment **** but works perfectly in the range needed.

Were you required to clearance the top triple clamp for the bolt on post or did you go with the weld on post? Thanks

Old 09-09-2011, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

where are you using this bike to have a damper? Had one on my 600RR to reduce anti steer coming out the corners hard and reduce tank slap but does it do anything on a 250?

Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
had a problem with the protaper s.e. bars after installing the scotts steering damper...the protaper crossbar sat way too low...didn't want to buy a new handlebar....this little crossbar is just too short (10.5") and solid to fit in any rod or pipe bender...solution?...took it to a metal fabricator for some custom bending by hand using hand tools...with just a printout using a computer of his plans as a guide...he did an awesome job....the protaper pads would no longer fit, so i just bought some black heater hose, cleaned it to a pure black, and covered the metal crossbar...looks quite awesome...

I have the same bike with the ims tank. Do you think it would get in the way?

Quick Reply: scotts steering damper installed...