What should i expect during break-in process?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What should i expect during break-in process?

Hello everyone, I just purchased a KLX 250s 09 green as of friday. It has been over 15 years since i have rode a bike and even then it was only for a couple of months. I have a total of only 15miles on it. Mostly i have just been riding in back yard and around the neighborhoods getting back into the groove. I have gotten it up to 45 mph and have shifted at around 6000 rpm at some times. I have not layed the bike over or done anything wild and dont plan on it. I am very impressed with the smoothness of shifing on this bike andhave not had anyshifting problems. My question is after day one of riding for 7 miles a couple of hours later i notice one drop only of oil on the floor. After the 2nd day of riding that night i noticed another drop but two more drops about to fall from(near) a bolt to the left bottom of the gear shifter. All fluids levels are good and look clear. Is this just normal of break in period?

Sudo

I have alot to learn)

Old 05-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What should i expect during break-in process?

Should not leak anything at all....... mine with 8200 miles doesnt leak at all and never has.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Should not leak anything at all....... mine with 8200 miles doesnt leak at all and never has.
Agreed. The bike should not leak. I'd take it back to the dealer. Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Mike

Old 05-11-2008, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

After cleaning the very minor oil leak drops i rode a couple of miles. It is coming from my Oil change drain screw. I tried to tighten it up , didnt move and i didnt want to put to much pressure on it. Guess ill have my dealer put on a new gasket for the screw when i change the oil for the first time.

Sudo

Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sudo

After cleaning the very minor oil leak drops i rode a couple of miles. It is coming from my Oil change drain screw. I tried to tighten it up , didnt move and i didnt want to put to much pressure on it. Guess ill have my dealer put on a new gasket for the screw when i change the oil for the first time.

Sudo
The drain plug has a metal washer. It may just have a piece of debris stuck in it. Should be an easy fix. I always wondered if the washer was a "crush washer" Like Honda Cars have. Crush washers are a one time only deal and many oil change places ruin many Honda oil pans by re-using the crush washer. If anybody knows, please let us know.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Dont forget to change the oil after 20-40 miles including the oil filter. This is very important!! Keep flushing clean oil through your engine to get rid of any metal filings from the break in period.......meaning change the oil at least twice before the 600 mile service. Go up and down the gears using a nice twisty road but try not to over rev the engine unless you decide to do the mototune break in proceedure. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Cheers!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Update on very small drips of oil (2 to 3 drips) After signing loan papers i drove by my dealer and had him take a look undernearth. Before i drove it i had wiped down the belly near oil change screw and gear shifter. He told me it may be coming from the gear shifter but did not say it would be a o-ring or anything like that on the gear shifter. The oil level was still at the top bar. He told me to keep a eye on it and when you bring it in for the first oil change we will do something about it. So far i have 80 miles on it with no problems. God i love this klx ). I done a google and got this. http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...aking-oil.html

Sudo

Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Sudo,

My Brand new '07 did this and ended up being a countershaft sproket seal that the dealer fixed for me, there was more than a few drops however and it was very noticeable, hopefully thats not what yours is.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

good luck man....