What protection do you wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, one thing I've started doing nearly all the time is a jacket of color (red), mesh or whatever, because I've found as long as you are moving a bit, the jacket is cooler than bare skin in the hot sun. The color of my jacket absorbs less heat than my skin does when riding. Venting just makes it that much better.

I am still wearing old school all leather MX boots because I have them and they work for what I do. The current trials and dual sport boots are similar in design. They protected decently back in the day and that protection hasn't declined. The new MX boots are better protection, but less feel and more difficult walking for a dual sport rider. A broken in full leather boot has feel like a work boot, but far more protection. Hey - Roger Decoster used them for a long time, as did many others.

Plus to an all leather boot like the Alpinestar Super Victory or the dual sport Scout is that you can wear them for general winter use too. My first HiPoints spent the first couple of years on the campus of Kent State slogging through the snow. Still have the boots too. Oil them occasionally and they last for ever.

When I start dual sporting again in a bit more serious mode on the 250 I will be looking at some other equipment. I keep considering one of the neck braces. I have a bit of a concern since I have my c5/6/T1 fused due to a motocross crash (stuck a double HARD, shattering the big part of the C6) due to my head snapping forward. Happened in spite of a full face, limited travel might have stopped it.

Is anyone using a neck brace?

Old 02-08-2014, 01:56 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
FWIW, one thing I've started doing nearly all the time is a jacket of color (red), mesh or whatever, because I've found as long as you are moving a bit, the jacket is cooler than bare skin in the hot sun. The color of my jacket absorbs less heat than my skin does when riding. Venting just makes it that much better.

I am still wearing old school all leather MX boots because I have them and they work for what I do. The current trials and dual sport boots are similar in design. They protected decently back in the day and that protection hasn't declined. The new MX boots are better protection, but less feel and more difficult walking for a dual sport rider. A broken in full leather boot has feel like a work boot, but far more protection. Hey - Roger Decoster used them for a long time, as did many others.

Plus to an all leather boot like the Alpinestar Super Victory or the dual sport Scout is that you can wear them for general winter use too. My first HiPoints spent the first couple of years on the campus of Kent State slogging through the snow. Still have the boots too. Oil them occasionally and they last for ever.

When I start dual sporting again in a bit more serious mode on the 250 I will be looking at some other equipment. I keep considering one of the neck braces. I have a bit of a concern since I have my c5/6/T1 fused due to a motocross crash (stuck a double HARD, shattering the big part of the C6) due to my head snapping forward. Happened in spite of a full face, limited travel might have stopped it.

Is anyone using a neck brace?
Oh...so Mark...you think you're Roger Decoster now?

On the neck brace deal, I've been thinking about the newer EVS model specifically designed for trail use. Yeah, people ride all the time with the more aggressive Leatt and such, but they're somewhat restrictive and don't match up well with all body armor designs, hydration packs, and jackets. The EVS R4 is a lower cost alternative that allows more freedom of movement for trail riding and exploration but still provides a lot of protection. You look around a lot more on adventure rides and such, and the extra mobility is nice. A friend has one, and I've tried it on. I'm leaning toward one. They're super easy to get on and off too. The magazine tests give it good marks for protection.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Not a lot of people believe this, I'm cooler with my leather jacket on in the summer than a t-shirt. You don't get that sun stinging affect you do when the rays are right on your skin (even at a stoplight)

Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Oh...so Mark...you think you're Roger Decoster now?

On the neck brace deal, I've been thinking about the newer EVS model specifically designed for trail use. Yeah, people ride all the time with the more aggressive Leatt and such, but they're somewhat restrictive and don't match up well with all body armor designs, hydration packs, and jackets. The EVS R4 is a lower cost alternative that allows more freedom of movement for trail riding and exploration but still provides a lot of protection. You look around a lot more on adventure rides and such, and the extra mobility is nice. A friend has one, and I've tried it on. I'm leaning toward one. They're super easy to get on and off too. The magazine tests give it good marks for protection.
Nah, it's my feet that think they're Decoster. Decoster never stuffed a double like I did.

Thanks for the tip, I will look for that brace. I'm serious about it because if I break again it will go higher. Not good.

I did some looking Evo makes the RC2 and 3 which appear to be soft rolls, the RC4 harder and a brace. I take it the Evolution might be a bit much for trail riding, do you think the rolls aren't enough?

The bike is now in the garage... still feels like a bicycle compared to the big incher - definitely should make trails easier to do.

Last edited by klx678; 02-08-2014 at 09:33 PM.